Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Outdoor furnace?
kirus
# Posted: 7 Sep 2014 23:21

I am planning on buying a double barrel stove kit adding a 2nd burn chamber and separate intake for secondary combustion. The main intake will preheated with forced air.

Then i will build a 5'x6' shed from concrete blocks around the barrel stove. The barrels will be off set so that only the bottom barrels front will be exposed. The top barrel will be inside the structure.

The sealed room will be filled with stones, and vented from the highest point of the room into the lowest point of the north end of the 320 sq ft dwelling. And out the lowest point of the south end of the dwelling into the lowest point of the room.

With the heated air travelling through the stones past the stove through more stones and then into the dwelling.

This is the basic idea I 'm wondering if it will work?

bldginsp
# Posted: 8 Sep 2014 08:31

This is similar to the basic idea of a masonry heater- a masonry fireplace designed to absorb heat from a hot, fast burn and then radiate that heat into the space over the next 12-18 hours. The stones are your heat sink.

I'm sure it will work, but whether it will work in a satisfactory manner is another question. How will you regulate the heat that comes into the cabin space? I think you would have to install dampers in the ducting that leads the heated air into the cabin, and alter the damper settings as needed.

Remember that you'll have to go outside in the cold every time you need to feed/adjust the fire. Also, I'm wondering if you will be able to get into the barrels to clean them periodically. And, barrels burn out fairly quickly with a lot of use, and will have to be replaced. Sounds like you plan to totally enclose them, making that difficult.

Just a few thoughts that came to mind

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.