Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / MC4 wire size requirement
groingo
# Posted: 13 Sep 2014 12:03 - Edited by: groingo

A 30 amp requirement running 2 MC4 100 foot wires from panels to charge controller shows wire needs to be 1 or 0 awg for least line loss, just double checking.
Not only would this be very expensive I still haven't located anyone that makes the mc4 ends for that large of cable.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Sep 2014 14:57

You will probably have to terminate the cables at a terminal block, then from the terminal block to the small pigtails with yourMC4 connectors.

MtnDon
# Posted: 15 Sep 2014 13:41

At the PV panel end use MC$ connectors on the usual 10 ga wires. Those go to a combiner like the MidNite solar ones. I don't recall the exact gauge they can handle; something like 2 AWG, maybe.

Whatever size wire is required for the actual 200 foot run is then selected. You may need a junction block or splicer to change up to the long run wire size. You mau need a junction box to place those in. Or buy an oversize combiner to have room right in there.

Then at the CC end repeat the above in reverse to get down to whatever size wire the CC will accept.

If running 100 feet of wire you should think about surge suppressors / lightning arrestors at the PV and CC ends. This is because nearby lightning strikes can induce surges in a long wire run.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Sep 2014 14:12

Quoting: MtnDon
This is because nearby lightning strikes can induce surges in a long wire run.

And I know Don has first hand knoledge of this with pictures too.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 16 Sep 2014 12:13

TMT...is there a way to directly message you? I have a Toyota question for you.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 Sep 2014 18:12 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

message deleted

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.