Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar Question:Mono vs Poly
Pookie129
# Posted: 24 Sep 2014 06:22

I know these types of questions are subjective but what do people think about solar systems or kits for off grid living, in terms of monocrystalline or polycrystalline options.

I live in Ontario and our camp is in northeastern ontario and we get a lot of snow and cold weather, so I am not sure how that impacts the different systems (or how you would maintain a solar system in the winter months with heavy snow accumulation but I am sure we will figure that out).

I would not be trying to recreate the city up north but just have some basic comforts available or as options. Possible electric heater (if back up wood systems or what not fail, lack of dry wood, etc, etc), wouldn't need fridge in the colder months, mother nature takes care of that, maybe charge some electronic devices for movie watching and music/weather/news, etc. Possibly a TV/DVD (not my idea but it has been suggested by others). Definitely no hair dryers, camp is not the place for Vidal Sassoon commercials. Again maybe a 2 burner unit counter top cooking unit, (if other cooking methods fail or no fire, etc) for back up. Power tools from time to time and of course not all at once.

Maybe a fan in the summer months, probably run the fridge during the day but unplug at night (cycle). Something to operate the fan on a sun mar (or similar type product) self composting toilet, etc.

Doesn't sound like big power draws to me but I am not very savvy when it comes to this and therefore look to the smart people at small cabin for some insight, advice and commentary.

Although I appreciate that there are people who just go to the cabin and don't want music, interruption or noise of any kind - and as empathic and agreeable as I am to that view point, I am also a realistic person and know that I need some basic power from time to time and some sort of connection with weather, news and music (it soothes this beasts soul and that makes it good for the general public at large) and as much as I too enjoy the quiet and solitude and have a general disdain for people - our life jackets and flashlights in this crazy world are people, some you know and some you don't, and our ability to connect to them and with them - whether that be directly or indirectly. So thanks in advance for any advice or wise words about solar options.

Pookie129
# Posted: 24 Sep 2014 06:26

While I am at it - anyone care to suggest or comment on inverter options with regard to mono or poly or does it matter.

I also have a honda 2000 generator as a back up

(clearly I have an issue with having back ups for stuff - I was most likely to have a back up plan from High School ).

Thanks again in advance.

VTweekender
# Posted: 24 Sep 2014 09:27 - Edited by: VTweekender

Electric heater, fridge and the electric hot plate you want would take a large system to run even one of those items, probably in the 5 to 8K range system to even think of plugging those items in on solar. Very small system would take care of TV and DVD plus cell phone charging and small light bulb, only need maybe 100 watt system of those items.

Just
# Posted: 24 Sep 2014 09:34

IMO ether panel is good , it all comes down to price per watt . I have one of each.
Forget the heater and cook top go with propane, everything else sounds good .
A pure sane inverter not much larger than is needed to run the fridge would be best .
Add up the total watts you expect to use in a average day and base the size of the system on that number .
good luck

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Sep 2014 09:35 - Edited by: MtnDon

Don't sweat whether or not to use poly or mono. OTOH it is usually better to stay away from thin film.

EDIT: Mono are technically superior as they are a bit more efficient. In reality that does not matter much unless the mounting space on a roof is critically small.

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Sep 2014 09:37 - Edited by: MtnDon

Quoting: Pookie129
Possible electric heater

Bad idea on PV power. Electric resistance space heating uses more power than a small system can harvest in a single sunny day.

Ditto on electric cooktop.

Electric refrigeration can be done but will require more PV and battery than you might think... Part time cabin use is often better with a propane fridge or well insulated portable coolers, IMO.
or a 12/24 vdc unit with a danfoss compressor Novacool, truckfridge, ARB, Engel)

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Sep 2014 10:22 - Edited by: MtnDon

The first item on the planning list would be to determine how much capacity is required, as Just mentioned. You need to estimate as best as you can how many watt - hours of power would be needed in a 24 hr period.

Trying to design a PV system without that information is a lot like trying to determine if a given car can make a trip from A to B without refilling the tank, when the distance, the size of the gas tank and the MPG the car gets is unknown.

Once that is known the battery capacity is determined. After that is known you can calculate how many watts of PV is required. Along with figuring the total power needs in a day you need to estimate the maximum loads that could be used simultaneously. That determines inverter capacity.

I'm not a fan of kits as a rule. It depends on the contents, the quality and the completeness. I'm not going to condemn them all, but most I've looked were not real bargains when the quality of the equipment is considered.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 24 Sep 2014 10:35

As above! Go with propane for cooking etc and refrigeration.

groingo
# Posted: 24 Sep 2014 11:01 - Edited by: groingo

First step would be to get a Killawatt power tester ($29.00) to see how much power your favorite appliances use, then total the power use numbers to total watts then multiply that by 4 times and that will give you a basic idea how much solar you would need provided you even have good solar exposure.
Once the shock wears off you can find high efficiency products to do the same thing but they are offen pricey and as always keep in mind Propane is a good alternative for heat, cooking and cooling and more cost effective and if all else fails invent what you need!

For good information I recommend you pop over to the Renogy.com site, lots of good information there, they were invaluable for me so I bought my system from them and am really glad I did....(shameless plug).
http://www.renogy-store.com/Solar-System-Sizing-s/1865.htm

Pookie129
# Posted: 25 Sep 2014 05:13

Thanks so much everyone, I knew this was the place to ask questions and get good answers.

Moving cooking and warmth related items over to propane and figure out remaining kilowatt power needs.

Shameless plugs are not, all this information is helpful and useful - so thank you everyone.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.