Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar Battery Charging
ILFE
# Posted: 6 Oct 2014 12:46 - Edited by: ILFE

Greetings:

Recently, I read posts where some members stated the available sunlight for recharging their batteries as being only a couple of hours or so, per day.

Here at North Latitude of 13 degrees, I know I am at an advantage, due to having ample sun hours available throughout the year. Usually, I get at least 5, more often, up to 6 good hours of daily sun. I don't own a generator, or use wind or hydro.

I know how important it is for the batteries to have a full charge put on them. So, for those of you who live in more northern areas, how do you make up charge times, if you do not have a generator?
Four Stages Of Charging
Four Stages Of Charging

groingo
# Posted: 6 Oct 2014 13:08

Living in the Pacific Northwest I am at 47 degrees Lat but my real problem was surrounding trees giving me a small hole if and when the sun is out to get full power but for the most part I designed the system so it would work well on cloudy days so over built the capacity, which was based on getting what I needed on the worst days or bottom 25% , combine that with increased panel performance when it gets colder I don't anticipate any shortfalls.
Last week I had cloudy rainy weather most of the week yet the batteries were still no lower than 106% charged.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.