Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Schumacher Electric SP-5400 54 Watt solar panel kit
Wilbour
# Posted: 7 Oct 2014 09:39

This kit is available at Walmart.ca for $199. It's nice to have an almost complete kit (just add a battery) but it still seems to be a lot for two 12v lights and to charge a cellphone. A couple of solar shed lights from Lowes.ca and a Booster Pack from Canadian Tire/Walmart (pre-charged from home) would do the same.

Or could I get away with a Home Brew for a lot less?

groingo
# Posted: 7 Oct 2014 10:54

I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it, problem I see is having to lug 3 panels and all the pieces around, would be nice to have something more self contained.

Wilbour
# Posted: 7 Oct 2014 12:45

Quoting: groingo
problem I see is having to lug 3 panels and all the pieces around

I could mount them on a South facing roof with no obstructions and it's a 12/12 pitch.

An issue may be the more stuff that's mounted outside, the more the locals will think we have valuables inside....

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 7 Oct 2014 15:12 - Edited by: ChuckDynasty

Amazon US has them for $175 shipped. This is like the Harbor Freight kit, I believe.

Many people have bought a kit like this for entry into solar and usually end up buying better or larger components but learn and have fun with it...some are very happy with just this.

I was tempted to go for the HF kit like this but glad I didn't. Even if you spent a little more you could get a much better panel and charge controller and I'd use LED lights which this kit doesn't have. Amorphous panels are larger (thats why there is 3 in this kit) and I don't believe they last nearly as long. You could have one 50w or 80w panel instead of three.

Depends on what you want to use it for as Gringo said.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.