Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 6v batteries
mattd
# Posted: 13 Oct 2014 21:33

Found 3 batteries sitting in the garage. My thought was, if they hold a charge, using them to light the outhouse. Run them in series to power a couple 6v lantern bulbs, add a switch and then the fun part..... wire one of those cheapie solar power cell phone charges to keep them powered. Looks like the charges put our 5.5v, and one I saw was weather proof and had gromets to hang it under the outhouse overhang. First question is the line out of the charger looks to be USB. I wonder if I could just cut that and have 2wires to tie into the batteries.
14__1.jpg
14__1.jpg

cman47c
# Posted: 14 Oct 2014 09:23

I don't think this charger will work. You need at least 6.5 volts DC to charge a 6 Volt battery. If you are using your lights at 6 VDC you would have to connect the batteries in parallel, not series. I think cutting the USB plug off would work...if the voltage was correct.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 14 Oct 2014 11:28

Agree, one must charge a battery from a higher voltage.

Another outhouse lighting option is cheap lawn solar lamps. One could let them charge outside and bring 'em in and hang 'em when you need 'em.

Or get the Harbor Freight solar rope light http://www.harborfreight.com/solar-rope-light-68353.html

I have one of these strung along my deck, stays lit for hours after a sunny day.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.