Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Can I dim a 12v led light?
FishHog
# Posted: 24 Oct 2014 08:29

Just finished installing a led light system in the cottage. Mrs Fishie loves them. She always complained that propane lights were not bright enough.

That being said, they are almost too bright. Is there a way to dim them, or is that just a waste of electricity and should I be looking at other options?

thanks,
FishHog

razmichael
# Posted: 24 Oct 2014 08:51

No simple answer to this as it tends to be much more complicated with LED lights. Unlike good old incandescent lights, LEDs use electronic controllers to work - this component may be built into the bulb or part of the fixture. Most LED lights actually contain multiple LEDs so these need to be wired together with electronics. There is a ongoing problem with a lack of standardization for controllers and there are multiple ways to control (and hence dim) LEDs. This means that, in the best situation, a dimmer should be matched to the LED type to ensure compatibility. Without this (and sometimes with) you may get really poor quality dimming, flickering or a multitude of other problems - or it may work. Effectiveness also depends on the number of lights attached etc. Here is an article:
Dimming

If you cannot match the dimmer to the type of LED lights you have, you can still try various dimmer types and see if they work. In general, any dimming will save electricity (the power is not lost to heat or anything).

FishHog
# Posted: 24 Oct 2014 09:52

thanks for all the info. Like everything else in my life, noting is ever simple.

appreciate the reply. I guess I have some research to do.

MtnDon
# Posted: 25 Oct 2014 10:43

Many 12 VDC LED's have an operational voltage range. They supply same brightness at either end of that range for reasons razm... got into.

Try blocking a little of the light with tape, paper, whatever.

groingo
# Posted: 25 Oct 2014 15:11

The only time mine dim is just before the burn out.

ClarkMichigan
# Posted: 4 Nov 2014 21:52

you can get a cheap china dimmer on amazon for a couple bucks

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.