Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Winter solar panel angle / height for snow?
creeky
# Posted: 1 Dec 2014 14:55

I added two panels to my solar system. I'm now running 2kws, 1 kw per array. Note the high tech "linden" tree frame.

This array is running at 98 volts. Two 48v panel sets in series and then tied together in parallel. Over paneled to a Morningstar controller.

But it leads me to the topic of panel height for snow and panel angle.

Last year I had two panels on this array and by the end of the season I was tramping around pretty good to keep the snow down.

And, while this array is my "fall/winter/spring" array. I don't really need it in the summer. So I leave it at a winter 60 degrees.

The rule of thumb I learned, oh those many years ago, was for the summer angle subtract 15 degrees from your latitude (so for me 45 - 15 = 30). Put your panels at your latitude for spring and fall. and add 15 degrees for winter. So 60 degrees.

Do you change your panel angle to follow the seasons? How do you cope with snow?
2ndkw.jpg
2ndkw.jpg

MtnDon
# Posted: 1 Dec 2014 15:39

No, to the adjust angle thing. They are at "latitude" all year. I used to move them but it was un-necessary work.

Pole mount, the lower panel edge is 4 feet off ground level. Snow slides off readily enough after the sunshine comes out.

groingo
# Posted: 1 Dec 2014 19:25

Funny you mention changing angles as I just adjusted mine from 46 deg lat to 38 based on panel temperatures but like Don, I didn't see any performance change.

creeky
# Posted: 2 Dec 2014 08:44

you guys must be a lot further south than me. i see about a 30% increase from summer to winter. about 15% per seasonal shift. well worth the trouble of moving.

I have both the fixed array seen here and the array on the solar shed which is easily moved. So these are verified numbers.

next year I'll put these panels on a tracker.

MtnDon
# Posted: 2 Dec 2014 09:42

NM about N 35.7

Steve_S
# Posted: 2 Dec 2014 10:13

Creeky, I'd be interested to see the numbers from before snow & with snow to see how much reflected light off the snow affects the panels. IF you got the numbers...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.