Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / solar costs
Snuffy
# Posted: 25 Dec 2014 15:32

My sis got an estimate for solar at her house. She has a fridge/freezer, elec. stove, microwave, washer and dryer, a tv and misc. small kitchen appliances. She has the normal electric lights and a blower motor on the LP furnace. No air conditioning. She said the estimate was $47,000 for a system that would supply 85% of her needs. I told her to get another est. I think that is way too high. Am I wrong? I don't think she needs a system that big anyway as she is already tied to the grid and has no plans to go off grid. Waste of money in my mind.

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 25 Dec 2014 15:52

If she's tied to the grid she will be selling the excess electricity back to the electric company. She might check with the local electric company. My company gives rebates of (last I knew) $2 per watt for a grid tied solar system install. If you are installing 10KW system that'd be $20,000 that you can get back. I agree to get multiple bids (because that's just a good practice) but the price does not sound completely out of whack for a whole home, grid-tied installation.

sparky1
# Posted: 25 Dec 2014 16:13

what about the well/water/ grid also.?
have her see what type. start off system shifting all lighting to solar.Battery.etc maybe even the TV..
12-24 V.dc well pumps are about $ 680.oo, mine was, Plus some more it ran a little 1,000.--
you state a lot of High power items---stove, Dryer, freezer. Etc; Just NOT practical off solar.
my 2 cents.

MtnDon
# Posted: 25 Dec 2014 16:36 - Edited by: MtnDon

How much of the 47K is for labor? And this would be for grid tie with no backup batteries, or maybe the high price also includes some battery backup?

The rules for grid ties vary so much from state to state and power company to power company, what's okay in one place can not be done in another.

Is this an outright homeowner purchase? Or one of the 20 year lease deals? Sometimes the leases are a reasonable deal; at least here in NM they look okay.

groingo
# Posted: 26 Dec 2014 00:43 - Edited by: groingo

First that would likely be 85 percent in optimal conditions.
I just read where our government went on leave till next year without renewing the federal energy incentives so at the end of December they will be no more.
Does your sis expect to see a payback within her lifetime?
Does she have good sun exposure year round?
Why does she want to do it?
Is she aware of high efficiency appliances?
Just too many questions and variables that should be addressed before considering solar or you could wind up with a very expensive
high tech boondoggle, doing your homework is your best friend.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 26 Dec 2014 08:18 - Edited by: ChuckDynasty

I had two estimates for a system that was about 9.5K in size from Solar City and a local outfit.

Approx. $40,000 before State and Fed incentives. This was to own the system.

Snuffy
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 10:24

Thanks for all the replies. I think she is going to reconsider now. She lives in a valley in N Iowa so winter sun especially may be hard to come by. The price was for a grid tie only, no battery back up. They apparently didn't explain that when the grid goes down so does your system. I guess the attractive part to her was selling excess power back to the power company.

groingo
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 11:25 - Edited by: groingo

Here in Washington you're selling your excess power back to the utility meant they allow you a maximum amount per year you can sell back to them in one callendar year which cannot be rolled over to the next year and if you produce more than that you wind up giving it to the utility for free after that but the real problem was they showed you getting a check from the utility every month which was not the case, what they do give you is a credit towards your future use based on full retail price per kwh, while they purchase your power at the wholesale rate...either way in Washington the utilities have made sure they always win.
First step, get rid of your old style hot water heater and go to on demand system which can knock 30 to 40% off your power bill in one swipe, zoned heating is another, resize appliances to fit your need but first, get a Killawatt power meter to see how much juice each appliance is using.....the hunt for savings starts with your lifestyle.
Best thing to do to reduce energy cost on or off grid is to look for ways to remove electricity from the equation all together, it can be done and is actually fun and gets the old brain clicking and this is the place to ask questions and bounce ideas, there is a wealth of true experience available to you here that is money in the bank!

sparky1
# Posted: 29 Dec 2014 09:39

a kilowatt meter will help a lot counting minor power useage. BUT,
look around your house especially at night almost every appliance is (Always on) to some extent. even my toaster. led lights on everything.
add it all up,
I read my meter every day I keep a diary. Twice I have had Well pressure switch go bad. Big jump in the meter reading.
i'm single & rarely use the dryer or oven or AC/heat pump.
going full solar rarely works for a family used to running all that stuff,
Keebler.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.