Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Powerhouse Generator R.I.P.
groingo
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 01:09

My little 500 watt Powerhouse generator with all of maybe 40 hours on it has bit the big one with not a mechanical failure but an electrical failure where hooking up the slightest load kills the engine.
Between that and the two broken pull starters, fuel vent cap that didn't vent, a boat load of metal filings in the oil and numerous other problems along the way this is what could be termed as the classic Chinese crap, now it's just me and the Yamaha that has never given me a problem.

NhLiving
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 11:14

Bummer to hear, some things are best to pay a little extra for the name. Sometimes it comes with better reliability, other times not so much. Its a real gamble.

Can't go wrong with yamaha or honda though.

Steve_S
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 12:38

I had considered a Powerhouse brand inverter genny but after reading several reviews etc decided not to go there... and your post is timely in that as well. I presently have a big Champion (8kw) gas generator which serves it's purpose during construction and when high power needs demand it but I'm still looking for a Budget Friendly inverter generator.

I'm presently pondering a Lifan 3kw inverter unit. Yes it's made in China BUT the specs & engineering seem to stand up and very little negative about them (mostly user issues vs product issues). Electric Start w/ remote, low oil shutdown (not just some silly low oil light) etc...

You know that in the 70's we all said "Jap Crap" and in the 21st Century it's "Chinese Junk"... it's always ABC Scrap whoever ABC is for the decade... Do keep in mind that just because it's made in China doesn't means it's junk... Hand the maker blueprints, designs and schema and they will produce it. There is good stuff & poor stuff you just have to do your research.

Anyone remember how badly MOPAR products rotted in the late 60's & early 70's ? Ever see a Scamp with rotten fenders ? Are you aware that Black & Decker, Stanley Tools, Porter Cable, Dewalt (all owned by the same foreign offshore holding group) are all made in China ? BTW that same Holding Group now owns over 50 Formerly Made in USA product labels...

Like all things, you get what you pay for... Buy a Poulan Chainsaw and compare it to a similar Husky or Stihl and you quickly realize there is nothing to compare between Poulan Junk (by design & engineering) and real chainsaws... none of these are made in China BTW.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 12:39

Sometimes it's a crap shoot with Chinese made products.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 14:07 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

The Chinese stuff works great! Right up until the time it quits and then you wont find parts to fix it either, and in the remote chance you do, its a loooooong wait to get those parts. And when that happens (quits) is anyone's guess. Groingo, good excuse to buy another Yammie or Honda for a backup. But with a high quality gennie, its not needed. I know you are totally off grid, so a backup might be a good option.

But my Honda EU2000i hasnt even miss-fired a single time in the 8 years I have had it. I have changed oil every 50 hours, plug once (just because) and cleaned the air filter. 3 stage unit, dust doesnt even make it to stage 2 on that filter. Store it with pure gas and carb bowl drained fully with drain screw.

groingo
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 16:03 - Edited by: groingo

I was pretty lucky on the Powerhouse in that I had zero dollars into it.
When it was new it immediately broke the starter cord and then I noticed many other design problems. When I contacted Wayfair they immediately offered me a refund right off and the told me there is no need to return as the Manufacturer doesn't accept returns.
So I kept it and fiddled with it and corrected the design problems accept for the electronics which is where the problem ended up so I pretty much lucked out it lasted as long as it did.
Just for grinns I did contact Powerhouse and told them the problem and realized it was out of warranty and they offered me a new one which I turned down, I told them I need the reliability more than anything but thanks anyhow.

bobrok
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 17:08

Congrats for being a stand up guy. A more unscrupulous soul might have accepted the freebie and sold it as brand new in the box on CL or eBay.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 19:38

I picked up an excellent condition EM400 mid 70's and an Ex1000, both Honda generators. I also recently bought eu2000i new.

The Em400 was shipped from the opposite coast and bought from description and pictures. When I got it I put gas in it and it started on the first pull. The EX1000 came from a flea market I think 1980's vintage cleaned out the gas tank, gas line, carb bowl, new gas and fired right up. Both run excellent though not inverter type.

I would keep an eye out for a small used Honda for a backup. I'm keeping an eye for for the Yamaha 1000 because of your great gas mileage and may wind up buying new. Reliability and gas conservation is what I'm interested in.

When I was young I wouldn't have been caught dead on a Japanese motorcycle only American or British. Now I have three honda genny's and a garage full of small vintage Honda bikes...not that I would mind if they were all American or British!

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 22:12

I built our entire place from drilling the bedrock to compressor and table saw with a honda EG1500. I bought it used for about $50 and it will not stop!
Screen_shot_201412.png
Screen_shot_201412.png

groingo
# Posted: 27 Dec 2014 23:04

Pulled the Powerhouse apart and found a disconnected throttle solenoid wire, repaired and checked all others and gave the main board a good sniff (checking for fried diodes) and my nose says all clear, started it, runs fine, will do load testing tomorrow....one thing about this little one, it's like a cat and seems to have nine lives....will see tomorrow.

Scott G
# Posted: 28 Dec 2014 15:58

Cool groingo, great to hear. Hey, for the price of free...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.