Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / No more Renogy....here's why
groingo
# Posted: 30 Dec 2014 12:21

Initial order was 400 watt off grid....4 100 panels cable and charge controller.
1. Tried ordering two upgraded charge controllers both were defective and returned.
2. 10 foot cable extension, they forgot to put mc4 connectors on one end.
3. One of four panels is defective.
4. Have replacement panel coming but they forgot to send return box with it, while checking on it their phone went dead.

Don't have to hit me over the head again, I am done with Renogy.

drb777
# Posted: 30 Dec 2014 12:47

Yep, I've had poor customer service with them also. Bottom line for me was they have very poor follow-through with promises made to customers, so I really think they simply do not care. Also it appears that their management turns a blind eye to all of these issues. Too bad, since they have a few products that are difficult to locate elsewhere.

MtnDon
# Posted: 30 Dec 2014 16:53

But the question remains, are the few products they have any good, and are they truly unique or just unique bacause of the cheap price? There has been a few negative comments aboutthem on the NAWS forum.

creeky
# Posted: 31 Dec 2014 15:52

sorry Groingo to hear about your troubles. but

gee. i've been recommending (for what 3 years?) that if you want to do reliable, cost effective solar get big (min. 200 watts/48v) panels ...

now why do I recommend big panels again. oh ya. lots more being produced. so better manufacturing process. better materials. resulting in lower cost per watt. higher reliability.

and I keep recommending quality charge controllers. like morningstar. and I keep saying "mppt" or nothing.

thanks groingo for proving once again that old saying ... x in results in x out. where x = doo doo

and, not to be to curmudgeonly, NAWS is one of those "leadite" sites. they're trapped in the 00s. just weigh their advice respecting that some of it will be "ye olde solar"

groingo
# Posted: 31 Dec 2014 17:43 - Edited by: groingo

The key problems I have encountered with Renogy is the old left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, I had much better service when I bought Renogy through Amazon....go figure, but in the end with the very high product failure rate I have also encountered with "Renogy" branded products the frustration factor with them is off the chart.
Back to customer service, I tracked the shipping number of my replacement panel that I had to pay again for (which is supposed to be refunded once they see the old one is on the way back to them)....according to the weight of the item they shipped me it is an empty box at 0.3 pounds, I have no doubt they mucked this up too, at this rate I am tempted to re-think this whole mis adventure and likely sell it for what I can before something else fails because the Renogy headaches are simply not worth the trouble.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 2 Feb 2015 14:40 - Edited by: LastOutlaw

uggggh. I'm sitting on four 300 watt panels from Renogy still in the shipping crate to install for my cabin once I'm up there full time. I have to build a small barn in a sunny area to mount them on or put them on poles in the sunny area. I don't feel secure enough not being there to put them on poles now. I sure hope each one is in good working condition. I would hate to try a warranty on these panels 6 months after purchase. I did do a visual inspection on each one upon arrival and each looked good and had no visible damage.
I will say that I probably wouldn't buy again from them just due to the shipping and hassle involved in my order. Sales staff did not tell me the truth about order status when checking on my order.

groingo
# Posted: 2 Feb 2015 17:23

That is why IF you must by a Renogy product it really pays to buy it from their Amazon Store because if you don't get satisfaction from Renogy AMAZON WILL make it right and without any hassle.
Otherwise just keep at Renogy, they will eventually come through, just more hassle and be sure to talk to support or accounting NOT sales if there is a snag.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 2 Feb 2015 20:14 - Edited by: LastOutlaw

The biggest problem with buying Renogy panels from Amazon is the difference in pricing and lack of available large wattage panels.
Pricing is about $100.00 more per panel for 250 watt panels and most offered are small 100 watt panels.
100 watt panels are ok I guess if you are building a small 300 or 400 watt system but to build a 1200 or 2400 watt system its either not feasible to use 100 watt panels or the cost goes way up to use the larger ones.

groingo
# Posted: 2 Feb 2015 22:25

Don't know where you are looking on Amazon but I do know the Renogy site has been very messed up for months, the Amazon site carries a broader selection with the same pricing as Renogy direct if you go here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ren ogy+250+watt+solar+panel&sprefix=RENOGY+250+%2Caps%2C419

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.