Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Comparing Sun King 2 to Wakawaka solar lights
rmak
# Posted: 12 Jan 2015 16:47 - Edited by: rmak

Mtn. Don suggested a Wakawaka solar light to me when I was trying to get some security lighting at our cabin. When I was looking around for one, I also started reading about the Sun King solar light. Both had good reviews. Both donate some of the proceeds of their sales to get these lights to developing countries that don't have electricity.

I had some Christmas money so I just up and bought both. At that time I promised to do a report on what I liked and didn't like about each light for the benefit of anyone who is interested.

I have the Sun King permanently set up as a desk lamp at the cabin. Several times in the evening I just used that light and the glow of the wood stove when I'm sitting around, and thereby save the cabin solar usage. It is quite bright with maybe a little less glare than the Wakawaka. I like that it has a separate small solar panel that I can keep permanently outside on the deck. Of course, if I didn't have it set up like this and used it for a flashlight it would be cumbersome. It definitely would be harder to pack if I wanted to backpack or carry it for tent camping.

The Wakawaka is smaller, more compact, with the solar panel built right in. Because of this, it's harder to charge in the winter from the sun because the whole light has to be catching the rays. I leave it by the window, but have resorted to using the USB port to charge it from a plug at home. This shouldn't be a problem in sunnier weather. The lights are just as bright as the Sun King, but a bit less diffused, so harsher. The Wakawaka is just a little bit bigger than a cell phone and is handy to carry so I use it mostly as a flashlight. Backpackers and campers would love this light because it's so small and light. There are ways to hang the Wakawaka with a string or on the top of a pop bottle, but I've never done it.

Both lights can be used to charge phones and other devices. Of course, this draw compromises the amount of battery available so the length of time the light works would be less. I've never ran out of juice, however. The light from both seems to go on and on. Both lights have the option of three brightness settings.

I guess I'm not very good at giving a critical review. I like them both very much for different reasons and different uses.
They are both really, really neat little lights.
Sun King 2
Sun King 2
Wakawaka
Wakawaka

Pookie129
# Posted: 13 Jan 2015 04:50

Actually, this was helpful and I appreciate your time in providing some info about both products.

Thanks a lot,
Shayna

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 00:08

Very helpful, rmak!!! Thanks so much for writing up your comparisons! I think I'm going to give the Sun King a try! (I already have a solar flashlight.)

rmak
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 06:41

You are more than welcome, Julie. I think you will get good use out of it.
One cool thing about the Wakawaka I forgot to mention is that if you hold down the turn-on button the lights flash SOS. Could possibly come in handy some day.

rmak
# Posted: 31 Jan 2015 01:55

Sorry to resurrect this old thread. I was asked to do a review of one of these lights from the place I bought it. After placing a good review, I was asked by someone where the light was manufactured and what were the labor conditions. I thought that was a good question so I looked into it a little. Both lights are made in China. I didn't find any definitive proof of how good the conditions are in the actual place the lights are made. That's no surprise. One thing I do know is that China is less than forthcoming when it comes to such information.

It would be a sad dilemma if products that help the environment are made in a bad environment. I hope that's not the case here. Anyhow, I thought that this info should be part of the review.

Bret
# Posted: 31 Jan 2015 08:40

I've have two of these. d.light LED Solar Rechargeable #S20 Area Lantern. One at house, one at cabin. They are very good.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 2 Feb 2015 20:30

Those look really neat. When you said security light I envisioned something like a movement sensor flood light. I wanted something to mount outside the front door of my cabin and being off grid i needed solar powered. I bought one of these from harbor freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/60-led-solar-security-light-69643.html

I mounted it above the front door and mounted the panel on the roof. I was very happy with the amount of light it put out. It lit a large portion of the front yard and eliminated the need for a lantern or flashlight if you needed to step out the front door for something.
it worked great for the visit I was there. Next trip up it wasn't working. I was bumbed.
I took it back down before I left and took it back home to try to see if I could fix it.
I checked it when I got home and realized that the wire had been cut by the edge of the metal roof.
The wire was real thin. I've rewired it with a heavier wire and will also run it through a piece of conduit this time and plan to mount it there again on my next trip up.

Nina Boydell
# Posted: 26 Oct 2015 01:26

Hello
Thanks for this! Very handy. I am trying to work out the best solar light to buy for women living in villages in Bougainville which is part of Papua New Guinea and a Pacific island. I was going to go with the Solar King but today someone introduced me to the Waka Waka light and I like the look of it too. Both seem really good. Cost might be a consideration for some people but for others it will not be. Do you have any comments to help make the choice easier! Thanks Nina

rmak
# Posted: 26 Oct 2015 21:30

Hi Nina!
I wrote this a while ago. Both lights are still working just fine. I really can't suggest anything further than what I said initially. The Solar King is more like a desk lamp. I carry the Waka Waka around in my pocket. Both are great. Sorry I can't provide anything more definitive.

Since both companies promote the idea of using some of the proceeds from sales to light homes in developing countries I would suggest contacting of them and asking for a donation. The areas you describe seem to fall into the category. Let's see if one or the other will put their money where their mouth is. No disrespect meant to the companies who make these lights. I just would like to know if the humanitarian efforts they advertise are real. Let us know if they come through for you!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.