Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / power inverter questions
borisvonf
# Posted: 15 Jul 2010 10:01

i finally got my solar panels set up - 60 watt sunforce package, with interstate agm battery so i can keep it inside.

panels lit up th test led. 7 amp charge controller seems to be working.

i connected the 200 watt inverter included with package to my battery and it powered up fine. when i plugged a small pedestal room fan directely to the inverter, it worked fine. when i plugged the inverter to my breaker panel with everything turned off, i got an overload alarm. just to check the wiring, i connected my generator to the breaker panel with the same cord that was going from inverter to breaker box and all worked fine.

where was the overload coming from if all lights were off and nothing plugged in? i could see resistance from the length of wall wiring if a circuit was completed, but no circuits were completed.

should everything work ok if i got a larger inverter (which i planned to do anyway)?

size of inverter - i know there is constant battery drain if inverter is on, but do larger inverters have larger idle drain?

thanks again for all your help - great site

Anonymous
# Posted: 16 Jul 2010 10:31

Ground and neutral tied together can be a problem for inverters.

Anonymous
# Posted: 16 Jul 2010 10:42

Oops forgot to mention that larger inverters do not necessarily have a larger idle drain. Generally they do, but many smaller inverters have fans that run full time. The larger ones often have temp sensitive fans which lower the idle draw below a smaller inverter. Sine wave inverters usually have a higher idle draw then MSW converters. Of course if you compare an 80 watt and a 5,000 watt this doesn't apply. Comparing your 200w MSW to 1,000w MSW watt, you will find idle currents in the same ballpark. You want to shut all of them off when not is use. Also, read the manual before you buy (google for it). The idle currents maybe published.

borisvonf
# Posted: 21 Jan 2011 21:17

well, i had given up on this problem for some time but decided to revisit it today. checked every oultet, light switch and light for ground to neutral problem. i finally realized the inverter quit working as soon as i plugged it into breaker box even without the breakers turned on. checked breaker box and found that the ground was connected to the neutral bus bar.
disconnected ground from neutral and all working now.
it is so nice to flip the inverter switch and suddenly have use of lights and outlets. now i'll need a second battery.
next i will go back to cabin and install ground rod and connect grounds to it.
maybe someone else will be helped by this.
thank you

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.