Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Battery + Solar Charger + Inverter
RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 11 Feb 2015 07:50 - Edited by: RichInTheUSA

Hello, I have a trap throwing machine at my cabin which runs off a 12v car battery...

Was thinking about getting a spare battery for it, rather than connecting jumper cables to my truck every time I wanted to use it.

Questions...

Should I get a specific type of battery? I don't really need a deep cycle marine battery, but was also considering other applications.

Was thinking about getting a solar charger for it too. Looked on amazon and there are many options. Should I buy the one with the largest number of Watts that I'm willing to pay? I see many with 5W, 8W and a few with 20W.

I found this 20W one...
http://www.sunforceproducts.com/product_details.php?PRODUCT_ID=251

This has an 8.5 Amp charge controller, although I'm not exactly sure what a charge controller does. I'm assuming it prevents the battery from being overcharged. It also says you can connect multiple panels, up to 127 watts.

Ok, while I'm at it I might as well buy an inverter, just in case I want to haul my battery around the cabin property and plug in a 110v item.

So I searched for inverters and found 300Watt, 500W, 1100W, 1500W inverters. I'm assuming that the Watt rating here tells me the maximum I can draw. If I connect a lamp that takes 80w, I'm assuming I can use any of these.... but if I connect a toaster oven which draws 1200 watts, then I need to buy the 1500W inverter to handle the load. Is that right?

Now Im thinking about being a little more practical, and potentially getting a 12v well pump. Searching for these, I see they are rated in AMPs, not Watts. One i found has a 7 amp draw. Is this good since the charge controller was rated for 8 amps?

I guess I also need to re-consider the battery if Im thinking about a well-pump application... possibly more batteries (?).

How do I figure out how many hours the well pump could run using this setup? This would help me to now if I needed more batteries, or more panels, or both.

Thanks for any comments in advance, Rich

groingo
# Posted: 11 Feb 2015 10:26

Sounds to me like at this point you might just be better off with a generator until you get your power requirements worked out plus you can always use the generator for those bad solar days so ultimately you will need a generator regardless.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 11 Feb 2015 11:29

Thanks Groingo.... I have power to my cabin already...

This was more about:
1) Having 12v power for the trap thrower, and
2) Providing a solar and battery solution as a backup for the well pump if SHTF, or if my power goes down after a storm. Since I'm so remote, I'd likely be one of the last on the power companies priority list.

Also, just trying to understand the numeric ratings of these various pieces of equipment, and how they relate to each other.

Thanks again.

groingo
# Posted: 11 Feb 2015 13:56

Time to get the KillaWatt power tester that way you can see what is using how much and begin to paint the picture of your tru power needs.

MtnDon
# Posted: 11 Feb 2015 14:39

With grid power to the cabin a hand truck to cart the battery wherever you want may be all you need in conjunction with a good charger than can handle a long term float.

As for SHTF or power company outages, a generator is fine for that. Nothing wrong with solar but would the plan be to cut the cord to the grid or not? You can also grid tie if the local power company offers true net metering.

Pumps are better off if they are 24 VDC IMO. Unless the well is very shallow. It would be easy to have what began as a simple thought of powering a trap thrower grow into a several thousand dollar project. Not everyone's cup o' tea.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 11 Feb 2015 18:24

Thanks Don... I was not planning on connecting the solar and battery to the grid.

You're right about how this project could grow. Not afraid of spending a few grand... but still too new to it to have a complete vision.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.