Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / My simple solar water heating idea...please share your opinions.
BooRadley
# Posted: 20 Jul 2010 18:08

I'm new here, so please be kind. :-)

This is not a new idea, but I haven't seen any plans or projects on the internet that are quite this simple. Perhaps the reason is because my plan is not sound. I am not sure, so I am asking for your opinions.

The plan is basically a two barrel system, each barrel holds approximately 50 gallons. Two black food grade barrels on a small tower. The first barrel will have a cold water inlet in the bottom, filling at a rate of ~5 gallons per hour. It will be connected to the second black food grade barrel via connections near the tops. There will be a water outlet on the bottom of the second barrel, which leads to the house.

Obviously, the hope is that the water will heat up as it fills the first barrel, and will flow into the second barrel heated. I am wondering, how many of you use this design, or have seen it used successfully? Also, if you have used it or know someone who has, can one expect to get at least 80 deg F water from it when the peak outdoor temperatures are 45-50 F?

I am in Texas, and while we have mild winters, it still gets down to below freezing in the winters. I'm trying to figure out whether or not I can depend on reasonably warm water from a setup like this until it gets cold enough ti fire up the wood stove.

Thanks guys.

islandguy
# Posted: 21 Jul 2010 00:05

You idea is known as a passive solar water heater. It will eventually reach temps similar to the outside ambient temp, but not with a constant supply of cold water being introduced into the main tank. I dont beleive you would acheive much of a temperature differnce to significantly provide a lot of heat at the top, as compared to the middle. Ultimately, you would need a lot of heat, ie really hot day, to make your system work. IMHO, a solar collector combined with a thermo-siphon tank would have far more practacle value.

BooRadley
# Posted: 21 Jul 2010 01:07

thanks, islandguy. :)

I guess I'll look into the radiator types.

ilovermont
# Posted: 24 Jul 2010 00:18

OK now for the next question --- what is a radiator type?

BooRadley
# Posted: 26 Jul 2010 00:13 - Edited by: BooRadley

Well, this is what I was calling 'radiator types'. It's what Islandguy is talking about (I think). The collector gives a sort of radiator appearance (the first guy used the coil from the back of a refrigerator), and it is connected to some kind of tank 'reservoir'. That type of collector is usually made from like 3/4" copper tubing or cpvc painted black, and a bunch of connectors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UBZKjr9CKw

Temporarily, I will be using 300' of coiled 1" poly tubing in a non-pressurized system (the poly tubing would rupture in time, I'm told) with no storage tank. But later, I will build something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpZxAZoccVk

It's a cherry it seems, but I don't think it's pressurized. Who needs pressure, anyways? Mine is going to be raised off the ground, and gravity will do the rest. :-)

Cheers, Boo

islandguy
# Posted: 26 Jul 2010 00:38

A solar heater is a bit like a reverse radiator... designed to collect heat, then transfer it to water. An automobile radiator, for example, is designed to transfer heat to water, then dissapate it to the air. BTW, boo, (from "to Kill a Mockingbird?) even gravity water systems have pressure, equal to the weight of the water column.
A lot of the fun of some of these ideas are in the research and tinkering. Good luck with your solar hot water system.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.