Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Tracer charge controller arrived
groingo
# Posted: 15 Feb 2015 17:35 - Edited by: groingo

This is a first for me....USPS delivered on a SUNDAY!

This one was way different than the one I had previously gotten from Renogy, this one was double boxed, the controller was in a Tracer full color retail box and not just a brown box, it was bagged with a seal unlike the other, no greasy fingerprints on it, and the real big difference.....it WORKS!
One thing I neglected to do was get the Rj45 meter but that has already been ordered.
It's an easy set and forget setup.....will give it some time to get settled in but it is off to a much better start.

creeky
# Posted: 16 Feb 2015 08:48 - Edited by: creeky

do you need the meter?

according to the manual (which I just found) you can plug directly into your computer or laptop. (on page 17: 3–PC monitoring setting software "Solar Station Monitor"(Use USB to RS485 converter cable with model: CC-USB-RS485-150U).

They warn to only use the USB cable. You can't use rj45 to rj45 without damaging the unit (according to the manual). So ...

Somewhere there's some software for it. Did it come with the unit? This will also allow you to reset the base parameters. Which is one of the things I liked about this unit. As your Crown batteries ask for (at 25C) 15v equalize, 14.5 absorb, 13.5 float. I would also set the time parameters for equalize and absorb to 3 hrs.

The units base parameters are pretty close to this. 14.8/14.6/13.8. 2 hr equalize/absorb.

Have fun. I look forward to following this thread. A pic would be neat to see.

Steve_S
# Posted: 16 Feb 2015 08:51

Got a direct URL Link for this ? Got my curiosity up and it's almost time to start ordering stuff for the next stage.

groingo
# Posted: 16 Feb 2015 10:55 - Edited by: groingo

Complete information on the entire line of Tracer controllers can be gotten here: http://www.epsolarpv.com/en/index.php/Product/index/id/95/am_id/134

I got mine directly from EP but you have many retailers you can get them from off Amazon, never mind the Renogy name, they just buy more than most so it's what they sent....almost ironic.

I ordered the Meter for this controller because my laptop is just to cumbersome and I want to see whats going on at all times with a push of a button.
[img=null]null[/img]
Tracer.JPG
Tracer.JPG

creeky
# Posted: 16 Feb 2015 12:20

the new E series BN controllers would suit a larger (1kw and up) installation.

groingo
# Posted: 16 Feb 2015 13:31

Creeky:

This is as big as I can see for the future, my key problem has been getting enough juice to the batteries (panels were producing plenty but PWM was the snag) getting the batteries to take the power was the problem, thus far this controller is definitely making a positive difference.

creeky
# Posted: 16 Feb 2015 16:55

nice. mppt rules don't it. you've got tonnes of power there now. I just like to play, so ...

i did a good equalize on my batteries last week. super power! it was a long dark winter. i'll probably hit 'em again next week.

i don't know where you're at. but changed my 60 degree winter angle to 45 on the one panel set. I'll find out tomorrow how much it's helping. early days on the sun angle for sure.

but. with 2kw of panel. i'm on "float" and livin' is easy. just vacuumed. didn't even touch the batteries and it's almost 5 o'clock.

if it wasn't for the dang cold weather hanging around you'd think spring is on the way.

groingo
# Posted: 16 Feb 2015 17:27

Creeky:
Thus far it is behaving very well, the meter will help verify the obvious and that is even while using juice it is blinking battery fully charged and in fact when charging I noticed that if I had something drawing on the batteries they seemed to perform better.

creeky
# Posted: 17 Feb 2015 13:05

nothing beats being near fully charged and running a device and your panels supplying all the power for free. it's just plain cool.

sorry to get you hooked. now you'll be adding all sorts of devices. i can hear the neighbors. "what's that thumping sound. Oh. Groingo bought a new stereo. Awfully loud. What!"

groingo
# Posted: 17 Feb 2015 13:12 - Edited by: groingo

Creeky:

My next big thing is to find a more solar friendly property and re locate.

Just figured my generator time during the crappiest days this winter and it came to 53.50 hours generator time or 2.29 gallons of fuel total during the worst of times, now with the new controller and longer days that should be it for the generator till next December and January and again the new controller has greatly reduced that chance as well for next season.

Steve_S
# Posted: 17 Feb 2015 14:19

Thanks for the link & updates... It's all very encouraging. Appears that EPSolar has no storefront for Canada but are available through Amazon.ca & Ebay.ca (surprisingly more on ebay).

Comparing prices to outback & others.. geez... Now I am glad I didn't order the solar kits last fall and that Maggie talked me into waiting till this spring... If only batteries would come down.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.