Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / making drinking water from my well
medic29
# Posted: 20 Jul 2010 20:43

I have an old well which we have used for years. Recently we built a new cabin on our land and my significant other demanded I get the water tested prior to allowing us to use the water from the well. So I got the water tested and the results came back that is tested positive for coliform bacteria. I have been doing some research on how to decontaminate the well, but I'm not confident any of these will work for sure.

Now I have an extra Reverse Osmosis unit and was thinking maybe I could use this. My problem is trying to figure out 1) if this will work, 2) how to get it set up? If it will work, then I just need to figure out how to get the water from the well to the cabin with enough pressure for the RO unit to work properly...it needs at least 40 psi, but works better at 75-80 psi.

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Rob_O
# Posted: 20 Jul 2010 22:36

RO filters are supposed to remove coliform bacteria. You will need a huge system if you want to filter 100% of the house water

What's your question about setting it up? Water in, water out and a waste line. Most of the drinking water systems I have seen also have a small pressure vessel to store a couple gallons ready for use

Rob_O
# Posted: 20 Jul 2010 22:50

Or you can build something like this

medic29
# Posted: 20 Jul 2010 23:24

Quoting: Rob_O
You will need a huge system if you want to filter 100% of the house water

What do you mean I would need a huge system? I have a 100 gal/day system, I don't think I would need more than 5 gallons a day...not even that much in reality.

I really only want to use this for drinking/cooking water while we are at the cabin. We use a lot of water, especially when it is hot for things like kool aid, lemonaide, etc. Then not to mention for coffee.

medic29
# Posted: 20 Jul 2010 23:25

Or you can build something like this

I hadn't even heard of those filters...if they weren't so expensive it would be something to look at.

Rob_O
# Posted: 21 Jul 2010 01:48

You can get a pair of the filter elements for $100 on eBay.

medic29
# Posted: 21 Jul 2010 16:09

You can get a pair of the filter elements for $100 on eBay.

Is it just me, but doesn't that seem to be quite expensive? My RO system cost me less than that.

Rob_O
# Posted: 21 Jul 2010 20:11

Quoting: medic29
Is it just me, but doesn't that seem to be quite expensive? My RO system cost me less than that.

The filters are advertised for 3000 gallons each useful life. If you and the SO use 3 gallons a day that's 2000 days, almost 5.5 years of daily use from a pair of filters.

How much water will that RO system filter without a pump to drive it?

medic29
# Posted: 21 Jul 2010 22:21

I have pumps to drive the RO System; but those filters are pretty interesting, I'll give you that.

medic29
# Posted: 22 Jul 2010 07:38

Anyone have any experience with the Berkey Black Element Filters? They sound pretty interesting. My question is if they can be used intermittently, or if once exposed to water if they must be kept moist?

Rob_O
# Posted: 22 Jul 2010 20:55

http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/wordpress/berkey/priming-your-black-berkey-filte r-for-use-or-storage/

medic29
# Posted: 22 Jul 2010 23:44

Thanks Rob_O; I sent the manufacturer an e-mail last night asking about this and received a response this morning letting me know they can be used intermittently, but I appreciate you response.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.