Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Good price for a used Honda EU2000?
buckybuck
# Posted: 6 Mar 2015 14:09

I've got a line on a used Honda EU2000i generator. The guy says it's got about 400 hours run time, which seems like a lot to me. Is that a lot of run time for one of these, and would you stay away from it for that reason? If not, any idea on fair price for a used one with that many hours?

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 Mar 2015 14:27 - Edited by: MtnDon

We have one with almost 800 hours on it. Still starts easy, runs well. We have another that is still nearly new at 50 hours. The Yamaha we had until lightning struck it ran up 1200 hours and still started like new, ran well.

They are hard to kill if the oil is changed regularly and you don't do something stupid. Or get unlucky.

Start with a $4-500 offer. I would not go over $600 myself. New with 3 year warranty starts at $900

hueyjazz
# Posted: 6 Mar 2015 17:14 - Edited by: hueyjazz

I must tell you one think I would never buy used would be a generator. Properly cared for they should give years of service. Neglected in early life and it will be short lived or problematic. A large portion of generators that come up for sale around me were used in a power failure situation where they ran 24/7, often new out of the box with no break in or oil changes for extended hours. Not a unit I would want 2nd hand.

If you know the history and the owner well go for it. Otherwise I would proceed with caution or a bargain basement price. But this is me. I just don't want a unit that would fail when I need it most. I don't mind paying for reliability.

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 Mar 2015 18:43

Note: When you start an EU1000 or 2000 watch the green power indicator light. It will flash once for every 100 hours of operation.

Pookie129
# Posted: 6 Mar 2015 19:14

Quoting: MtnDon
Note: When you start an EU1000 or 2000 watch the green power indicator light. It will flash once for every 100 hours of operation.

Great tip, thank you MD, thank you.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 7 Mar 2015 07:36

I just check at electricgeneratordepot.com and they have them on sale for $ 899.00 plus free shipping.

hamish
# Posted: 7 Mar 2015 21:27 - Edited by: hamish

Might one ask where you heard this? Its a feature available on the newer EU series like the TC.

buckybuck
# Posted: 8 Mar 2015 10:20 - Edited by: buckybuck

Yeah, I went and looked at that EU2000 yesterday, and the green power light didn't flash. Must be a feature on newer ones.

I ended up passing on this one. The seller wouldn't go lower than $600. Even tho I see these generators selling used on eBay for between $600 and $700, I think I'd feel better paying another $200 for a new one with a manufacturer warranty. (But then again, I'd be real unhappy if someone stole a $900-$1000 generator from me, so I think I'll stick with my four-year-old $90 Harbor Freight two-stroke for now).

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Mar 2015 12:14

Don, I never knew that, now I'm curious as to how many hours I have on mine.

Khaled747
# Posted: 11 Mar 2015 08:34

can some help please what is the difference between eu2000 240v and eu2000 110v mechanically is it only the inverter unit or other parts because im thinking of changing my eu2000 from 240v to 110v ?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Mar 2015 08:58

I have never heard of an EU2000 in 240 volt, maybe a european deal?

Khaled747
# Posted: 11 Mar 2015 09:12

does any one think there is any difference other than the inverter ?

MtnDon
# Posted: 11 Mar 2015 09:55 - Edited by: MtnDon

In the UK the generator is known as the Honda EU20i and puts out 230 VAC 50 Hz. Changing the output would likely require changing the electronic module which costs about $600 the last time I looked. Plus changing the power outlets on the end panel.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Mar 2015 12:27

Not cost effective to change it. It would have to be the main module and even plug as don mentioned which would technically require an new entire shell/housing. Be cheaper to buy a new unit.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.