Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 5000 w honda generator
old243
# Posted: 11 Mar 2015 13:26

I have a 5000 watt Honda generator. The motor starts and runs well. When I turn on the switch for power, bad things start to happen . There is a growling noise and magic smoke comes out of the generator. I suspect the armature is shorting.

I took the end off the generator, the brushes are ok, the modual appears ok , but no way to test it. There has definitely been heating and possible damage to the windings.
I haven't checked with a Honda dealer for replacement of the generator, but suspect the cost would be out of line.. The generator itself, is I believe from china.
Has anyone had experience replacing the generator, or an aftermarket source. Thanks old243

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Mar 2015 16:30

I have a growler, this is what you need to check the armature. Maybe the inrulation melted down and its either shorted to chassis ir ro itself (windings, ie armature of field coils)

Price the part. I have found Honda parts pretty reasonable for their power equipment. But thta is a majpor component and it may not hold true. Try http://www.jackssmallengines.com

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.