Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Recommendations for 12v LED lights?
slgerber
# Posted: 11 Mar 2015 21:33

Does anyone have any recommendations for 12 volt LED lights?
This one here looks kind of nice: Gold Stars GW21500 RV Reading Light
But I think the light might not be warm enough with a Color Temperature of 4000-4500K

This ChiChinLighting E26 Screw Base looks like it might be a possibility too.

MtnDon
# Posted: 11 Mar 2015 22:13 - Edited by: MtnDon

As far as the color goes that is a matter of personal preference. We don't like the warm colors and much prefer the cooler colors. The closer to daylight high noon (5600) the better, for us.

The first one might not be bright enough for me. The data states 190 lumens. My past experience has shown that to be too dim for me. 400 or better would be my personal choice.

The second looks better to me @ 400lumens (350 for warm white)

We have some of these.... Mind you I bought them when they were only 9.95.

...and we have some of these strip lights...

.... mounted in these holders....

slgerber
# Posted: 11 Mar 2015 22:53

Thanks for the suggestions Don. I like the idea of using those strips lights for ambient lighting. Do you know how much current they draw?

MtnDon
# Posted: 11 Mar 2015 23:26 - Edited by: MtnDon

IIRC, each 5050 LED strip of 36 draws about 2.5 amps and produces about 650 - 675 lumens. Lots of light. We use them as under the cabinet lights at the kitchen counter and range. The strips can be cut every third LED.

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 12 Mar 2015 18:57

here is what we are using. They also have a 128 led version

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-5W-69-LED-Bulb-Solar-White-Light-Tube-Marine-Car-with- ON-OFF-POWER-BUTTON-/390779598620?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item5afc47771c#ht_3620wt _1105

rayyy
# Posted: 14 Mar 2015 07:55

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=12W%20201%20LED%20E27%20Corn%20light%20Bulb%20D C%2012V%2024V%206000K%20Energy%20Saving%2080w%20incandescent&_itemId=321066553969
These are what I use.Expensive,yes but you can get them in warm white or daylight white.The 201 LED's gives you about 75 watt's of (incandescent equivalent) light using only 10 to 13 watt's of power.The E27 screw in base is the standard base size for light bulbs in the U.S.so you can buy any light fixture you like from any store and wire it up for 12 volt use.My whole cabin's lighting is wired up for 12 volt DC so there is no chance of getting a 120 volt AC light bulb mixed up by mistake.

creeky
# Posted: 14 Mar 2015 09:53

for reading I prefer lights with a colour temp under 3000K. The led lights often refer to this as warm white.

i found the bluer lights better for outdoor lighting/hallways.

man, it's amazing how many choices in led lights there are now.

Tucker
# Posted: 16 Mar 2015 13:36 - Edited by: Tucker

I used a product that few others seem to. Helieon lights by Bridgelux/Molex. Though they are "down" lights, they have a wide beam angle option, and using a diffuser can spread the light around. They come in a range of colour temperatures (I have the warm white 3000K), are dimmable with no pulsing or other problems, and take hardly any power (1 amp for 1000 lumens, which is about 75% brightness). I usually run them on the lowest setting which takes barely a trickle of juice. One light is plenty for a small (9x9) bedroom. I got these on the recommendation of an engineer friend, who helped me with the circuitry - the downside with these is that, as they are seemingly intended more for the wholesale/commercial market, they don't have the drivers built in, I had to buy the driver separately (I used the CAT4101) and wire the power supply up, solder everything together, etc. But I learned a lot, so it was worth it. I also had to DIY heatsinks for the lights. I drilled and tapped old CPU heatsinks and attached the lights to those with some JBweld in between. The lights operate flawlessly and I run them off a 100ah sealed deep cycle battery in the attic with cheap small trickle charge solar panel. Works great for weekend visits.

URL

Coldfoot
# Posted: 16 Mar 2015 15:39

I went to the RV parts store and bought 12volt LED lights designed as replacements for camper fixtures. $20 each, plenty of light, simple, and very low current draw.

I installed two fixtures overhead in my kitchen area but never use the second fixture. Too bright with both on.

Being in remote Alaska, with long dark days and energy at a premium, these inexpensive lights are perfect.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.