Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / is your system "separately derived"?
pizzadude
# Posted: 26 Mar 2015 11:44

I am currently in the process of building my off grid power system. As I sit here typing this, I am in a class discussing off grid electrical systems. An important point comes to mind.
Your system will be different than my own, but to describe my system and give an example, my system is this:
I have a battery bank, inverter with charge controller, solar panels, and a generator. I have a double pole, double throw switch I integrated into my system to power my electrical panel, switching power between the inverter and the genny. The switch is rated at 30a.
In my system, I had to be careful to not create a parallel ground between my generator and my inverter. What I did was I bonded my ground and neutral at the panel, ensuring I do not create that parallel path between both my inverter to my panel, and my genny and my panel.

One thing I didn't know was that some generators have factory installed a jumper(bond) between ground and neutral. If this is done, I parallel path would be created, at least in my case, between the genny to my panel. A new rule as per OSHA requires a new generator to indicate whether or not the generator is "stand alone" or "separately derived" by bonding done by the manufacturer.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.