Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / kitchen off grid implements
<< . 1 . 2 .
old greybeard
# Posted: 7 Apr 2015 14:52

Quoting: silverwaterlady
If you are burning coffee using a stove top percolator than you are not doing it right.

Nope, the water has to boil for the perc to work. Then the coffee gets heated up again and boiled and sent thru again. Adds a burnt taste IMHOP.
The best coffee is made with water just under boiling, in a french press. Use time and amount of coffee to control strength.

pizzadude
# Posted: 7 Apr 2015 15:36

Quoting: FishHog
I bought a French press for the cottage, but with no running water, I found it took way too much water to clean it up after using. I went back to an old drip coffee maker that you just poor the boiling water from your kettle into. Works the best for me.

I'm with you. I finally found a french press in this small town, Target has a nice selection. As I was trying to chose which one I wanted, I realized that without running water the press would be too much a hassle to clean up.
Alas! Sitting right there on the shelf next to the french presses was a 8 cup pour over dripper. I'm going with that. With my new ss whistler tea kettle, I think the dripper will suit me just fine

TFlom
# Posted: 7 Apr 2015 20:25

We use a Melitta #2 Cone cup "Mr Joe" and brew directly into thermal mugs or coffee cup.
Delicious Starbucks or whatever. The off grid Keurig of the North woods!

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 7 Apr 2015 21:42

We cheat at the cabin for coffee. We do have a percolator that makes great coffee but when it is just my wife and I, we do have a Keurig machine up there that we turn the generator on for a couple of minutes and make coffee.

Another great off grid implement is a pie iron. We use it to make grilled cheese over the fire or stove burner. We also take wraps and use up left over chicken, steak etc and make wraps with cheese and veggies and then grill them in the pie iron. Pizza wraps work well also. We have two of them up there and often when we have guests we do a build your own wrap meal. Everyone puts what they want in the wrap and we grill them in the pie iron. They cook up fast! Here is a picture of what we use.
Pie iron
Pie iron

pizzadude
# Posted: 10 Apr 2015 09:07

Because I'm so cheap, I decided to make my own pour over coffee dripper. I found a fine screen strainer from an old coffee maker that fit perfectly into the top of my percolator. Simply boiled a few cups of water and slowly poured over the grounds.
Tried for the first time this morning. I must say it worked quite well, although the coffee was a bit strong. Easy fix tho..

cabingal3
# Posted: 10 Apr 2015 15:57

I like this idea pizzadude! I am cheap too!

SE Ohio
# Posted: 10 Apr 2015 16:09

We found a used hand-crank ice cream maker (no picture yet) that we keep at the cabin. We even found a place nearby that sells crushed ice that is idea for freezing the ice cream (we sometimes let the kids crush regular ice cubes with a hammer). We'll be making ice cream again soon!

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 11 Apr 2015 01:36

I have fond memories as a kid going to family gatherings at my aunt and uncles place where they had a hand crank ice cream maker. We all took turns cranking it until the ice cream was frozen! Best ice cream ever! Thanks for reminding me of this!

SE Ohio
# Posted: 20 May 2015 09:23

I really like my kerosene cookstove. I first considered propane but was concerned that my kids would turn the stove dial and not light the burner, creating a gas leak a few feet from the woodburning stove. Bad combo... This two burner model takes up very little room. I got an old one off Craigslist, but they still make these (Lehmans sells them).

I use a Coleman oven over one burner to make pizza, cinnamon rolls, cookies, etc. My one complaint is that it comes with only one oven rack. If I had known this, I would have ordered an extra rack at the time and combined shipping. I fashioned another rack from a cooling thingy and it works fine. No fun making cookies with only one small rack!

http://www.coleman.com/product/camp-oven/2000009191#.VVyKCrlViko
Perfection brand kerosene stove
Perfection brand kerosene stove

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 26 May 2015 00:41

I have a French press coffeemaker, hand-crank coffee bean grinder (gotta grind them fresh!), a hand-crank chopper/food processor, assorted hand graters, manual salt and pepper mills, and a manual timer! My range won't have one.

LOVE that boat (marine) stove!!!!! SO much nicer than the RV ranges I've been looking at. Are they pricey?

davestreck
# Posted: 13 Jun 2015 18:32

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
LOVE that boat (marine) stove!!!!! SO much nicer than the RV ranges I've been looking at. Are they pricey?

I was lucky to get that stove. Its been very lightly used and is in great condition. New they run about $1400. Its all stainless steel and built like a tank to withstand use at sea. A customer at our boatyard was upgrading his galley to a larger model and told the mechanic who removed it that he could have it. He had so use for it, so I traded him an old generator for it. Definitely a good score.

davestreck
# Posted: 13 Jun 2015 19:14 - Edited by: davestreck

I finally finished my chuck box:

As usual, I over-thought and over-engineered it, so now it weighs a friggin' ton. Still, I'm happy with how it came out. Its 3/4" marine plywood, glued and screwed and sheathed in fiberglass and epoxy, and painted with two-part epoxy paint. All the hardware is stainless steel. The lid and the front panel are gasketed so its basically water-tight. That way we can leave all our cooking supplies out by the campfire regardless of the weather. Its going to be a big improvement over trying to dice onions on a cutting board balanced on a rock.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 13 Jun 2015 19:21

Quoting: davestreck
I finally finished my chuck box:

fine JOB on it looks great!!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 22:39

davestreck.that is fabulous! thanks for sharing it with us.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.