Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Very interesting idea for more efficient home
groingo
# Posted: 5 May 2015 10:46

Over the years I have wondered about this same concept, basically a house within a capsule to reduce direct external effects by providing a thermal layer of warm air, well, someone is doing it.....food for thought here: http://www.gizmag.com/architecture/

rockies
# Posted: 5 May 2015 21:40

I came across an article on the "greenbuildingadvisor.com" website about this concept, and the author said that if you're going to the expense of building a house within a house (which is basically what this is) you might as well just save the time and money and build a better house.

Don_P
# Posted: 5 May 2015 22:58

You'll probably find similar if you google "envelope house". It was sort of on the same thought, faded I think for pretty much the reason rockies mentioned.

creeky
# Posted: 6 May 2015 09:55

the climate there is very mild. so it looks like a nice way to create protected outdoor space. and the cost was what. 90 bucks a sq ft. pretty reasonable for a custom one off.

what I liked most tho, was the framing on the polycarbonate shell. they don't use much wood.

However,
i wonder about the racket all that plastic would make in a good wind storm. in a heavy rain would you be living inside a drum?

groingo
# Posted: 6 May 2015 10:34

On the surface it was an interesting idea, provided an air pocket of insulation on the interior of the home but I can imagine if on a hot summers day even with the vents open it could become an oven and the same on a cold cloudy day which would trap the cold air.

Creeky (and his dish washer) came up with another downside which would be high wind or I would add heavy snow, the wind could either blow it apart or drive you (Creeky) with the noise or just blow it apart while the snow would cave it in, either way you're back out in the weather if that happens sitting around your camp fire singing Kum By Ya.

The principle is sound but the execution regarding the one in this example has issues.

All in all though, interesting and it makes you think which was the point.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.