Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Wood Stove Question
Ejm
# Posted: 28 May 2015 12:40

Hello All,

I am planning on installing a wood stove in the corner of my cabin. My problem is I have a slidding door on one of the walls it is 2 in half feet away from the corner. I am going to wrap the rest of the wall with cement board and bricks, but is the slidding door going to be a fire hazard or will the glass break from the heat?

Thanks,

EJ

pizzadude
# Posted: 28 May 2015 13:06

I have similar set up. I was concerned too about the sliding glass door. I guess I had more concerns about the trim surrounding the door.
I have a small stove(2.5' long by 1.5' wide and tall). I stoked it up really hot once to check the surroundings for fire dangers.
All is fine I found out. Some areas got warm, but I'm no longer concerned. My glass door sits less than a foot from the stove.

Ejm
# Posted: 28 May 2015 13:18

We went with a big stove it heats up to 2200 sq feet. We never insulated the cabin we just figured that we would go over kill with the wood stove. If you are a foot away with no problems I feel much safer. Thank you for the reply it is much appreciated!

pizzadude
# Posted: 28 May 2015 14:20

Whoa.... Don't take my word for it.
I would advise to heat your stove up hot like I did. Make sure areas don't get excessively heated.
The cement board will work fine.
Still.. test it out. Your life may depend on it. And always have your extinguisher readily accessible

Ejm
# Posted: 28 May 2015 14:50

I am going to use cement boards with bricks... I think I am just going to remove the patio door and put in a steel French door. I don't think the glass would break and steel would not catch on fire. I just have to be careful with the trim around the door frame.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 May 2015 16:40 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

You can get a shield for the woodstove itself, but it must not be a separate item, it must be attached permanently. A steel panel with an air gap between it that goes across the back and wraps around the sides of the stove greatly reduces your set back, regardless of the cement board. This is what I'd suggest.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 29 May 2015 01:58

How big is your cabin with a woodstove that size?!

Ejm
# Posted: 29 May 2015 09:18

The cabin is 16 x 26 with a sleeping loft. It has High ceilings 23' high at the peak! I would rather have a big stove and set it on low then a small stove and run it to its max.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 31 May 2015 04:58

Wow. Heat distribution around the cabin may be a bit difficult to control, though, as is the burn. Your loft could get super-hot while the downstairs remains chilly. Is there any way to control that?

I'm a woodstove newby and I was just planning on an EPA-certified stove for 1,200 sq. ft. for my 400 sq. ft. cabin (with loft and 6 ft. of headroom upstairs). The cabin will be well-insulated and the stove has a blower.

Ejm
# Posted: 1 Jun 2015 09:37

I have a window in the loft, worst case I will open it up. I also have a celling fan to blow the heat back down. I don't have much experience with wood stoves, but I would think I could control the heat by the size of the fire that I make and the dampier. If anyone thinks I am making a mistake please let me know. I could always return it I did not install it yet.

Thanks,

Eddie

pizzadude
# Posted: 1 Jun 2015 13:09

It's fine to limit the size of the fire to control heat, but expect to stoke it up once, probably twice throughout the night.

pizzadude
# Posted: 1 Jun 2015 13:24

I have noticed though, that 90 degrees in a cabin feels a bit more comfortable, almost cozy than say, in a modern home. It's like this.. I can't stand being in an elderly care facility because they keep it so dang hot(85) in there, but the cabin @85 especially during a cold winter night is just fine with me.

Ejm
# Posted: 1 Jun 2015 13:34

85 would be tough... lol I hope it is not that warm. It does get really cold where I am located. I figured the larger stove would also help the warm up time when we get there and it is freezing! Worst case I guess I will install another window or skylight to bring in the cold air.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.