Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Jetpack Blues
Gary O
# Posted: 10 Jun 2015 19:56

So we got this jetpack
It gives us an avenue to WIFI since we are off grid

It's a bit expensive (we used 19.5 gigs last service period)
I've been chatting with customer service
They are all shocked when I tell them how much we've used

But

No real help in what I can do to curb expenses

Any Jetpackers out there?
Any suggestions as to how to keep usage in line (like 4-5 gigs)?

Salty Craig
# Posted: 10 Jun 2015 21:58

I have no experience with jet pack but have a Verizon tablet. Video is the data burner. You can forum around the clock and use hardly any data. Ya fire up the ol' YouTube and look out!!!

Craig

Gary O
# Posted: 10 Jun 2015 22:51

Quoting: Salty Craig
Video is the data burner.

yes, I was warned of that by customer service

we do not stream anything, just forum stuff and Email

still, eating gigs to the max

Salty Craig
# Posted: 11 Jun 2015 10:44

Without watching video, I don't believe that you could use 3 gigs a month. I fear a case of screwy math. My iPhone breaks down my data usage per app. All regular internet use is calculated thru Siri. Hardly a quarter of a gig per month and that's heavy use. Forum, emails, tons of googling, etc.

I hope your not stuck with a long term contract and recommend maybe using a smartphone or tablet for a wifi hotspot.

Nerdy Craig

Gary O
# Posted: 11 Jun 2015 11:16

well, I'm hooked up for two years, but not to the jetpack.
Yeah, the sales guys said no way would we use 4 gigs.
(He's now on my hit list)

Now, let's talk iphone for hot spot.....
how do I do that?

Salty Craig
# Posted: 11 Jun 2015 18:16

iPhone 5 and newer all make a hotspot with no additional cost to your account. It does however use from your data package. Ya go into settings, and whack a few buttons to fire up yer hotspot.

This is with my verizon phone. Not sure what other carriers do.

Settings / Personal Hotspot / yada yada yada

Gary O
# Posted: 11 Jun 2015 18:50

It does however use from your data package

is it a gig junkie, or social user?
We have the iphone 6

My offgrid neighbor down the lane sez to keep off things like Google and MSN as they have constant updates.
Heck, I've had Google and MSN in the background a-l-l-l-l the time..but no more

Thanks for the input, Salty.
This ol' man will fiddle with things until it's all such a mess I'll never be back on line.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 11 Jun 2015 21:14

Whenever yer off the google machine, close out the page. That way the jokers can't chisel away at yer data.

I'm dumb as a brick but manage to get by. If it's fun, it's not free. Rum comes to mind. Wink wink

Salty Gigabyte

Salty Craig
# Posted: 11 Jun 2015 21:17

It would be nice if my gig eater produced milk, eggs, or tomatoes.

Gary O
# Posted: 11 Jun 2015 21:26

Whenever yer off the google machine, close out the page

that's what I'm doin'

I'll check in a couple days

If it's fun, it's not free. Rum comes to mind

right now, I can't afford MD 20/20

Salty Craig
# Posted: 11 Jun 2015 21:33

right now, I can't afford MD 20/20

ROFLSHMSFOAIDMT!!
Rolling on floor laughing so hard my sombrero fell off and I dropped my taco!!

Time for a nip of Captain Morgan while I brace myself for next phone bill.

Gary O
# Posted: 11 Jun 2015 22:25 - Edited by: Gary O

That reminds me of a poster I made, years ago now;

Thank you for completing my evening, Salty
And now some popcorn, an old movie (Fatman and little Boy) and a pee in the garden after swilling a gallon of water...not beer...not the captain
(marking our territory, saw a couple deer this afternoon)...

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 11 Jun 2015 23:05

Can you get satellite internet, GaryO? I know it's not the greatest but it would be less expensive, I think, than using your phone's plan. You could use a wireless router with it, at least.

I'm checking into the satellite providers. I'm also crossing my fingers that Charter broadband is on the mountain. I know for certain that they're in the tiny little communities all around and in the businesses at the bottom of the mountain. My zip code search showed that they serve Bonanza and even tiny, nearby Dairy. I've looked into Charter and they seem to go to the rural areas where others won't.

Gary O
# Posted: 11 Jun 2015 23:14

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
Can you get satellite internet, GaryO?

yes, it is not the best here
a neighbor sez it's akin to peeking into a neighbor's window to watch TV (he's on the jetpack after several tries with Dishes)

I'm going to see if I can control this tiny beast
If not, I'll fiddle with my iphone til my eyes cross and my fingers go into some sorta tourette conniption

Pookie129
# Posted: 12 Jun 2015 05:21 - Edited by: Pookie129

Gary, also make sure that your system software, anti-virus software, etc, are selected for manual update rather than automatic, otherwise that will also be constantly running/going/checking/updating in the background chipping away at your data resources. just a thought or suggestion.

Satellite internet is so tricky and unpredictable at times or location dependent, unless you have reasonable or reliable access, it can be more frustrating than useful..When I was in the Smokey Mountains for a while, the Satellite internet was paramount to sending messages in glass bottles via the ocean or a slow boat from China

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 12 Jun 2015 07:50 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

I traveled all over the USA and was able to get Online using my iPhone 4 and my iPad. Every photo I've posted on this site has been from my iPhone/camera.

I have excellent service from ATT. That is the positive side of my internet experence. The negative, cost to get the ATT wifi service on my iPad,I had to purchase the iPad Air at $1,000.00,the service is $50.00 per month. I cannot watch any video or I eat up all my data. I usually end up with no data left at the end of the month. I have the option to spend a additional $50.00 for more data(not automatic).The only time I watch video on my iPad is if I can find some free wifi. Mcdonalds and the library is where I go for that.

I pay $25.00 per month for my iPhone wifi. I always go over on my data. I get charged $10.00 automattly and spend about an extra $20-$30 per month. If I need to watch snip it's of video I do it on my iPhone.

Now that I'm retired I could just get wifi at home but I'm still doing a lot of traveling around so that is not going to work for me. Hope this has been helpful information.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 12 Jun 2015 08:44

"Thank you for completing my evening, Salty"

You bet. I really enjoyed the light moments and our well thought out analogies.
Couldn't wait to get up this morn and see what you night owls had been hooting about. Back to work now. Focus Salty, focus.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 12 Jun 2015 08:51

Here's a pic I just took of Gary O using his new jet pack. Not sure how fast he got to Virginia.

"It's hard to soar like an eagle when you work with turkey's"
Gary's Jetpack
Gary's Jetpack

Gary O
# Posted: 12 Jun 2015 11:17

Quoting: silverwaterlady
Hope this has been helpful information.

Well, I just can't bring myself to poking teeny weeny letters with these sausage fingers on that tiny iphone keypad (I lugged my desktop clunker to the cabin)

Thanks for the input, Silver

Good info, pookie

Salty? Well, what can be said better than with a pic;
(when given opportunity, old men play)

Salty Craig
# Posted: 12 Jun 2015 17:23

Gary O

You may be old with fat sausage fingers, but that is the funniest pic ever!!! I bet your wife is howling...(maybe your humor gets a bit old to her)? I know what you look like from the pic of you thread so this photoshopping that you did is hysterical.

I can type like nobodies business with an iPhone but need to hang out with you long enough to learn how to insert my face into pictures. Not to mention the other decorations. Well done G.O. You are a riot.

Salty Craig

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Jun 2015 00:03 - Edited by: Gary O

I bet your wife is howling...(maybe your humor gets a bit old to her)?

I frequent a site that caters to goofy pics and goofier captions (it's an addiction).
Also, I've fiddled with the program everybody has (ms paint) aaand a somewhat little known program called GIMP.
It's a poor man's photoshop (free) that helps me get some tight detail or clean up where I need it.

Heh, I'll spend a couple hours creating something I think is gut busting hilarious, then show cabi.
She'll say, that's funny', then go back to her knitting.
On a rare golden occasion she'll snicker.....I think it was Christmas...1997.

Here's something I'm fiddling with now (could be political satire....or just a slam...not done yet...my mind wanders)

Don't go gettin' caught up in it, Salty....it's addictive.
You'll find yerself at 2:30 am, staring at the screen, giggling yer hind end off

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Jun 2015 00:07

ps

Salty

If you really want to get started with cut/paste, I have a 12 step program

My Email is in my profile

and if you do...sell your golf clubs, boat, snow skis and children now (you won't have time for them)

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 13 Jun 2015 05:02

Bwahahaha! Love the Giggity, giggity!

I opened up this thread because I thought you were trying to build that kind of jetpack!!!!

Salty Craig
# Posted: 13 Jun 2015 08:52

You have out done yourself this time!!. Gary O

Hillary with a fawn. Sooo funny. I will fiddle with this a little before I sign up for the 12 step program. I do cut and paste already. Will see what I can come up with.

I have a 12 step program for being lazy. So far I haven't had the energy to get any participants past step 3.

Craig

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Jun 2015 10:38

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
I opened up this thread because I thought you were trying to build that kind of jetpack!!!!

Heh, this thread has unraveled a tad.
No matter, I wander more than anyone, but I think I have managed to control the gigs to 10 per month...shudder...by killing the background stuff, going manual, and changing my home page to my Email...and shutting off things that don't need to be on...like the jetpack itself when we are not on.
Giving my new direction a three day trail.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Jun 2015 10:41

I will fiddle with this a little before I sign up for the 12 step program

Good idea.
Highly recommended.
If you really get into it, you can even turn a head a few degrees (just using ms paint);

Well, I've managed to semi-derail this forum again.

Back to cabining and the adventures it all entails

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.