Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / How often do you deliberately run your batteries down?
groingo
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 10:57

I know that it is actually good to run them down rather than keep them perpetually topped off, in my case my batteries haven't been below 100% charge for (oh crap) 5 months, so am going to give the panels a few days off, how bout you?

MtnDon
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 13:31

If we were talking NiCad batteries I would agree. However, I assume the battery type is lead-acid, specifically FLA? If so, No, I believe it is not good to cycle an FLA unnecessarily. I never deliberately run them down. My reason being that FLA have a more or less finite number of cycles in them. More or less, because many things can affect the overall life other than just a discharge. If the idea behind a deliberate discharge would be to avoid electrolyte stratification, I propose there are alternatives that are better.

A daily recharge that includes some time with a current equal to about 10 - 13% of the battery capacity goes a long ways to assist in preventing stratification. If that charge rate is not possible on a more or less regular basis then an occasional equalization charge does an excellent job of remixing electrolyte.

I don't believe there is any other good reason for deliberately discharging an FLA battery deeper than whatever the daily use does. Or am I missing something?

~~~~~~~

Our batteries are what I would call lightly used with a usual maximum summer daily discharge of 10%, up to 25% of temperature corrected capacity in winter. As well they do go for lengthy periods of no daily use year round. You could say they sit there "perpetually topped off" for weeks and sometimes months at a time. I counter that with a short equalization charge when we arrive after a period of no use. Our batteries are now 7 years old and as much as I may complain from time to time that 2 cells tend to a lower sp. gr.than the others, the batteries are actually in great condition for their type (golf cart) and their age. Lots of folks don't get anywhere near that length of service from a golf cart battery.

groingo
# Posted: 15 Jun 2015 15:14

Well I did go ahead and run the battery is down to 60%, but that took some real doing, squandering electricity like some grid attached fool, but what I did notice after they recharged was that they recharge quicker and deeper but again this is only something that I will do once every few months just to keep tabs on the recharge capabilities since in between times they aren't doing much, so all in all things are looking very good for the batteries and the entire system.

creeky
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 08:46

i've read quite a few posts about hitting the batteries once in awhile just to wake them up. not sure what the reasoning is. stir the electrolyte maybe?

it happens for me automatically. all i need is a dark rainy day and my batts get a good workout the next sunny day.

i also equalize regularly as Crown calls for a monthly equalize on batteries that are cycled regularly.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.