Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / wiring for solar and back up generator....HELP!
tnky03
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 17:12

I'm ready to start wiring my small cottage/cabin with guys coming on Thurs. Though they are not electricians both have wired homes that passed inspection. The problem is they've never wired for solar and I want to be certain I understand correctly to offer input. I will have three lights, using LED bulbs, a 32 in LED flatscreen tv, total of ten outlets (though only using one for tv, one for lamp and one for fridge), and using apartment size mini fridge. I have a 125 amp. Square D load center box. My plan was to have them run wire as normal to the box but have wire come out of breaker box with plug that could be plugged into my Cen-Tech 2000 watt continuous/4000 watt peak inverter. I will be getting my solar panel a bit later so at first I will use my Generac 3300 generator to charge my deep cycle battery. Does this make sense and is it doable? Also, I have #2 six foot inverter cables I found at Harbor Freight when I bought my inverter but I don't understand how to add in line fuses. Any help? Thanks.

creeky
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 18:48

Can you grab an ATS (automatic transfer switch).

The ATS out goes to the box that sends the power to your cabin.

Your inverter goes on the "mains" power leg.

Your genny goes on the "genny" leg. BUT wire the genny leg to a switch and plug: the switched power goes to your battery charger. The plug gives you access to the genny power for running tools etc. Then the line goes to the generator.

Man. Somebody just posted a great pic on this.

Sorry. Long day in the hot sun today.

Put the fuse between your batteries and your inverter on the "hot" line. Is it a type J?

Jeez. One trip around the farm with the tractor too many. And that's my story.

tnky03
# Posted: 18 Jun 2015 17:26

I wish I could get an ATS, but I just can't. I'm digging the bottom of my money barrel just to have all the pipes, fittings, etc. to complete plumbing and basic electric. I'm wondering can they just come from breaker box, instead of running wire to meter base bring the wire and put a plug on the end to plug into inverter so plugs and lights will work. Do you mean is the inverter a type J? I don't see that anyplace. It does say not for marine use. Also, in reading the inverter booklet it says not to use near batteries as it can spark igniting fumes from batteries. Good grief! I planned to use one marine battery, maybe two in a while and was going to put them on the floor and the inverter would be 2-3 feet above. Is that a hazard? I had a house fire about 40 yrs. ago and want to be cautious and safe, yet I can't afford to hire an electrician. Sorry for so many questions and I do so appreciate your input.

MtnDon
# Posted: 18 Jun 2015 17:49 - Edited by: MtnDon

Quoting: tnky03
the inverter would be 2-3 feet above. Is that a hazard?

If the batteries are not of the sealed variety one hazard is that the off gassing and possible acid vapor from the battery can be harmful to the inverter. The other potential hazard is sparking from any inverter relays, etc may ignite hydrogen gas. Hydrogen has a wide flammability range. So no, that placement would not be good. Having the inverter and batteries on the same level but separated by a wall or partition is better.

MtnDon
# Posted: 18 Jun 2015 18:09

at first I will use my Generac 3300 generator to charge my deep cycle battery.

What do you have for a battery charger?

MtnDon
# Posted: 18 Jun 2015 18:11

I'm wondering can they just come from breaker box, instead of running wire to meter base bring the wire and put a plug on the end to plug into inverter so plugs and lights will work

You can, but that is not code. Code does not permit wiring a service panel to an inverter with a removable plug. Code states the inverter to panel connection must be hard wired and in conduit. What you do is up to you if there are no inspections.

tnky03
# Posted: 18 Jun 2015 22:02

Would it be ok then to build a box for batteries and vent to outside, or best to build box for them and have in crawlspace? I don't see a place on my inverter to hardwire in, so that may not be an option. For charging until solar is in place I have a 2/6 amp. 6/12 volt charger.

MtnDon
# Posted: 18 Jun 2015 22:44

Tell us more about what batteries you have or plan to buy. Type, model, quantity... what kind of fridge or how many watts it is rated at.... is this full time use or part time recreational use... So far we've been trying to help with a very narrow part... how to wire the inverter to the service panel.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 19 Jun 2015 08:28

I don't know what your budget is like but there are solar generators that are designed to hardwire into the electric panel and include everything. Panels, charge controller, etc.

Like this:
http://www.bepreparedsolar.com/solar-generator-10k-200ah-for-well-pumps-p/240v-200.ht m

Steve_S
# Posted: 19 Jun 2015 08:31

The Battery Box with external venting is a must, no fan required. This can be plywood, insulated or not (depends on where you are storing batteries and how cold / hot they will get).

Your Cen-Tech 2000/4000 is Modified Wave Form and "may" have issues with fine electronics like computer, LED/LCD TV's. It has no provision for Direct Wire from what I can see.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.