Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Is this used solar system a good value?
CORNEDBEEF
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 22:15

I just bought a little piece of property that is off-grid, and I'm going to be building a small cabin. My neighbor is selling his 7 year old solar system (he just installed a bigger system).
It consists of 8 Mitsubishi 180 watt panels (PV-MF180UD4) and a 60 amp Outback charge controller (MX-60-MPPT) and an aluminum panel rack and head which mount on a 6" pipe. He's asking $1500/obo. Includes only these components (no batteries, wiring, inverter, or 6" pipe).
Seems like a decent value?

Thanks,
IMG_20150607_151400..jpg
IMG_20150607_151400..jpg
IMG_20150607_153243..jpg
IMG_20150607_153243..jpg
IMG_20150607_151630..jpg
IMG_20150607_151630..jpg
IMG_20150607_151349..jpg
IMG_20150607_151349..jpg

pizzadude
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 22:25

Personally, I'd say if everything works as it should, you didn't do too bad at all.
My rule of thumb, when I was shopping solar was that if you can find panels for less than a buck a watt, you're ok, and of course, the cheaper the better.
That controller new I'm guessing was pushing $1000 7 years ago?
There are good solar experts here. They'll tell you the truth. But I prob would have made the purchase👍

pizzadude
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 22:27

Oh, I didn't see the "obo" on his price. See if you can deal with him

CORNEDBEEF
# Posted: 16 Jun 2015 22:53

I haven't bought it yet, kinda dragging my feet so I can get some input from peeps who know more than me... I googled that charge controller and it's around $550.

bldginsp
# Posted: 17 Jun 2015 07:31

How long do charge controllers last? Is it 75% thru its life? In that case you are paying $1 per watt with little else.

Are Mitsubishi panels high quality? Cheap panels have a high failure rate, good panels will last your lifetime.

Steve_S
# Posted: 17 Jun 2015 09:30

After having spent almost a year shopping out my solar system and looking at far too many vendors in US & Canada. I can tell you that if your in the States and spending up to 1500.00, you can do better than what this fellow is offering, prices have dropped a lot.

I think the current Mitsi 180's (new Model 185w: MF185UD5 ) are selling around 1.05 USD per W.

The panel racks vary in pricing but a basic, manually adjustable one averages around 750 / 800... add tracking etc and price climbs like nuts.

Inverter or Inverter/Charger is a fair $ to plan on.

Batteries... all over the map for pricing... depends on your planned usage and environment (nasty winters or not etc) 12v VS 24v etc...

wiring, fuses, grounds, circuit panels (# depends on how your setting up), charger if not part of inverter, all adds up fast.

Here is a link to Various Solar Calculators, Tools which is an invaluable.

$1500 isn't bad for what you have listed but maybe you can negotiate it down a bit.

creeky
# Posted: 17 Jun 2015 10:48

So the panels are probably about 10% decayed. So call 'em 160w x 8 = 1280 watts. tho it wouldn't surprise me to see them go higher.

used panels. say .60 a watt?

used controller. that thing should be good for many a year more. 25 year life I would think. and a good quality name. 1/2 price be fair?

the racking needs one piece replaced. not a big deal. check for stress fractures, but that bend looks like a "oops hit it with the tractor" kind of failure. so no big deal.

good luck.

offgridjunkie
# Posted: 17 Jun 2015 11:30 - Edited by: offgridjunkie

If you could get it for $1100, I would do it. $.50/ watt on the solar and you are giving him 400 for the CC. Good deal for each of you. That racking, he needs to throw it in on the deal as it is damaged. Those panels are 24 volt grid tie so they will treat you well. Just my $.02 and I am a cheap bastard.

MtnDon
# Posted: 17 Jun 2015 16:14

Quoting: creeky
used controller. ...............1/2 price be fair?

Half of today's price. Today's new price is $485 at NAWS. And new ones come with a 5 year warranty.

CORNEDBEEF
# Posted: 18 Jun 2015 12:12

Thanks guys, after a little bit of cursory research I'd have to agree it's just a touch high for used solar. I was thinking something like 1000-1200 and that's similar to what you guys are recommending. I'm eyeballin' one of those Balqon Lifepo4 batteries that Creeky recommends - any idea if this Outback CC will work with Lithium?

creeky
# Posted: 18 Jun 2015 12:27

Yes. but check with Outback. MtnDon would know better than me.

Basically any good solar controller will work. You have to set a custom program. Although, for quick and dirty I understand the "AGM" setting can work too.

Custom programs are easy to write. It's really just a matter of filling in the blanks.

And set the temperature modification to 0. Most folks seem to just disconnect there RTS.

I keep talking about the yachting folks . Check their forum. there are folks there who have been using outbacks since 2012 and before.

MtnDon
# Posted: 18 Jun 2015 14:13

Quoting: CORNEDBEEF
...........any idea if this Outback CC will work with Lithium

I see no reason why not. It is a matter of setting the charge parameters to match the batteries used. Even if the batteries are flooded lead acid different manufacturers have different recommendations. Talking to Outback might be an idea just to see if they have any particular recommendations.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.