Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Best off-grid laundry ideas
. 1 . 2 . >>
moregon
# Posted: 19 Jun 2015 10:58

How do you wash and dry your clothes off-grid?
1cb8b9afd9da0fcb7cb2.jpg
1cb8b9afd9da0fcb7cb2.jpg

FishHog
# Posted: 19 Jun 2015 11:19

I jump in the lake with a bar of soap. But that only works for a few months of the year.

groingo
# Posted: 19 Jun 2015 11:24 - Edited by: groingo

I originally washed mine down in the stream with a bucket and plunger which did work fine until the stuff dried and had a distinct odor of fish, my cat kept looking my way licking his chops.
Then I used some detergent and water at the cabin but hauling the water was a major pain in the best of times so being that I check on my 86 year old mom once a week, I just do it there for now.
I do have a workable alternative using mild bio degradable detergent and water at the stream but the waste water does not go into the stream.

Drying is simple, just hang it anywhere out of the rain.

MtnDon
# Posted: 19 Jun 2015 11:36

A friend uses one of these and it works well for them. How how capacity is needed?

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 19 Jun 2015 11:44

The ingest time I spend at the cabin is a month. I have accumulated a months supply of underwear and socks over the years. Of course my wife questions the shape of some of them lol. If need be we will go to a laundry mat in town and take care of laundry on a rainy day. We have hand washed items and hung them on a line. I do have an old washboard hanging up but haven't used it for laundry.

creeky
# Posted: 19 Jun 2015 12:10 - Edited by: creeky

Here I'm 3/4 thru taking in the laundry: drying. and washing some work clothes: laundry washing.

i've had the washer 3 years now. holy cow how time flies.
the machine uses very little power. about a 100 watts for a load of laundry. even a small solar system will run it. does use quite a bit of water tho.

i like to leave sheets and towels through a rain rinse for softness. a good windy day helps beat the towels soft too.

thx wilbour. (image modified to conceal certain of creeky's clean clothes.) btw. the rain softens all, um, laundry.
laundrywash.jpg
laundrywash.jpg
laundryrack2.jpg
laundryrack2.jpg

Wilbour
# Posted: 19 Jun 2015 13:54

Ok, so Creeky is one of the few people here who can post pictures of their underwear and get away with it.

cabingal3
# Posted: 19 Jun 2015 17:08

i have a couple of tubs.i fill with water and put the soap in and the clothes.i let them sit quite a while.
then i get my scrub board and i scrub out the smelly places and the stains.then i wring them all out.go take the soapy water to the garden.
then i put all the washed clothes in another tub and rinse rinse.and wring out and take that water to the garden.
then i hang the clothes out on my clothes line i made.they are cleaner than how our old washing machine use to do.thats what Gary O says.so we are happy right now.come winter i need a washer.

leonk
# Posted: 19 Jun 2015 17:25

When I did my laundry by hand in cold water using bio (not bio degradable) detergent made a difference.

rockies
# Posted: 19 Jun 2015 20:18

You could try one of these. I've seen them featured on simple living shows and they apparently work quite well.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Laundry-Alternative-Wonderwash-Non-electric/dp/B002C8HR9A

If you really want to get a little creative, you could try this.

http://homelessdave.com/hdwashingman.htm

or this.

http://www.instructables.com/id/5-Gallon-Bucket-1HP-1-Human-Power-Front-Load-Cloth/

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 20 Jun 2015 06:20

This will be my only major appliance and I will be running it off the propane generator. Pricey, yes, but worth every penny, IMO, as it gets good reviews from an oil man with badly soiled clothes, lol. I really don't want to be down to my last few pairs of clean undies, hit with a Lupus flare, and then having to somehow handwash clothes. Uh-uh.

This is one of the very few RV washer-dryer combos that's vented and it improves the drying capability.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/splendide-2100xc-washer-dryer-combo-white/3 7344

LOL, Creeky, you know how your dishwasher is your favorite, convenient electric appliance? A washer is mine!!!

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Jun 2015 11:05

I just wear the same clothes, day after day. Why bother cleaning them when 1/2 hour of digging in the dirt first thing in the morning is going to make them dirty again anyway. But, some way or t'other, I find a way to wash them at least once a month, whether they need it or not.

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 20 Jun 2015 11:57 - Edited by: Gotta Gettaway

Hands down best design idea and concept I've seen for off grid laundry. They are through a crowd funding stage right now but a foot powered small washing machine that will rinse too! All you do is pretend you're a drummer for a while and stomp on the foot pedal then hang to dry. I've put in my order for one already.

Called the Yirego Drumi!

http://www.yirego.com/#!our-product/c1t44

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Jun 2015 13:34

Best off-grid laundry ideas????

get a roll of quarters and go by the washy washy.... in TOWN once a week....

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Jun 2015 17:30

I think it was Maytag that originally produced a washing machine powered by a small gasoline engine, started by a foot lever. Wonder if such a thing still exists.

rockies
# Posted: 20 Jun 2015 19:33

The "Drumi" looks really nice, although it says that towels and bedsheets are too big for it to handle, and it can only do one pair of jeans at a time.

The "Wonderwash" seems to have a much larger capacity.

http://www.compactappliance.com/WONDERWASH-Laundry-Alternative-Wonderwash-Washing-Mac hine/WONDERWASH.html

http://www.simplygoodstuff.com/wonderwash.html

(I'm not very dirty, so I don't do many loads of laundry a week)

rockies
# Posted: 20 Jun 2015 19:42

Julie2Oregon

Here's another option for you.

http://www.simplygoodstuff.com/portable-washingmachine.html

http://www.simplygoodstuff.com/dual-tub-washer.html

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Jun 2015 20:27

Here it is- the old style gasoline engine washing machine

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XO38GMQZ68U

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 21 Jun 2015 03:46

Quoting: rockies
Julie2OregonHere's another option for you.http://www.simplygoodstuff.com/portable-washingmachine.htmlhttp://www.simplygoodstuff.com/dual-tub-washer.html

That's AWESOME, rockies!!!! Thank you!!! Book-marking!

Much less expensive, and I see on the side there are some little stand-alone spin-dryers, too. Towels aren't soft when they're dried outside (unless it's mega-windy!) or on a rack.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 21 Jun 2015 04:44

Yes, I agree with rockies. I can't imagine spending 5 minutes at a foot pedal to wash and rinse one pair of jeans on that Drumi thing. I could wash and rinse a pair of jeans and other items in half that time in a laundry basin. Do they not get that? It would take forever to do laundry -- and it doesn't even wash sheets!

creeky
# Posted: 21 Jun 2015 09:21

Julie2, you're right. The dishwasher is my favorite contraption (being the newest). But the laundry washer has saved me a lot of time and money.

I laughed when turkeyhunter said
Quoting: turkeyhunter
a roll of quarters

My laundro-mat is $5 for a wash now. $1/2 dollar coins only (Canada).

Ms. M bought one of the "wonder washers." One pair of jeans and some bits is about the max capacity. and hand twirling that crank arm was no fun either. She used it twice and then gave up on it. It's still around the farm somewhere. Will sell for postage. Useful for "delicates."

For softer towels wash in rain water or use a rain event to rinse. Also. Towels will go soft after one use. Trust me.

And if you buy a mass market small washer electrically powered. You can put the money you save towards your solar system. They use very little electricity.

My Haier uses 100 to 150 watts per load.

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Jun 2015 20:42

'wash' the clothes.....

interesting

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 Jun 2015 23:02

i sort of like hand washing the clothes.
i am outside...the air is great.
there is sort of a zen like quality to the job.
sort of fun.

creeky
# Posted: 23 Jun 2015 09:54

I feel like a great cad and poltroon when I read some of these posts. Zen hand washing of clothes. Quiet contemplation amongst the dishes.

What oaf am I? Happily resorting to mechanical devices. Can one feel the zen joy and peace while dumping clothes into a metal can?

Nope. Not very mindful.

And what of the reminiscing I could do as I scrubbed by hand. "I remember that stain" I could say to myself as I soap up the blood of one accident or another. Or look, the rubbed mark of the grease gun on my best shirt left while hurriedly preparing for some ignoble pursuit or another.

Adding to my shame. I used the "top rack" wash cycle on my dishwasher yesterday afternoon and I do have to confess a joy, though rude and encumbered by mechanical ease, to opening the dashed device and seeing a perfectly spotless coffee mug ready for use.

cabingal3
# Posted: 25 Jun 2015 10:46

i just let the clothes soak in soapy water.
dont worry too much about the stains ..its either stains and a whole shirt or a shirt with rubbed too death holes left over from scrubbing too much on the wash board.
we are in the woods so i just enjoy the outside.
wash out the crotch and the underarms.
this is for now.a beautiful summer day.i sit in my chair and get my washboard and smell the beautiful air.
i could fret and cry but no.i feel joy in my chore.
i feel joy in my garden i dug in virgin soil and how i have to watch and keep the animals out.
i feel joy in the whole day and all my chores.
it gives a routine to my life.
get the clothes washed by hand or machine.
i love to be outside.so there is my chance.
its slowed down work.
time to enjoy the chore and time to smell the good mountain air...its a lovely time.
i take all the left over wash water to my garden.
i hang out all my washed clothes on the line.
they smell so good when dried.
its nothing but good.

cabingal3
# Posted: 25 Jun 2015 22:37

i found the most lovely bar of soap for hand washing clothes.it is pink and it is a big big bar of soap .it smells so good and it is from walmart for 97 cents.i cut off a small bar so the big bar doesnt get wet and dissolve away.
its soap and clean smelling.
what kind of soap do u use??

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 27 Jul 2015 23:55

http://www.homesteadingfreedom.com/homemade-natural-laundry-detergent/2/

saw this Cabi---and thought you would like the info /recipe

hattie
# Posted: 28 Jul 2015 12:03 - Edited by: hattie

We run a small motel and do a TON of laundry (usually daily). Laundry soap is expensive so I decided to give the recipe below a try (it is the Duggar recipe). Works like a charm and is REALLY inexpensive!!!

Things You'll Need:
5 gallon bucket
Long handled spoon
Saucepan
Empty laundry soap containers
4 cups hot tap water
1 bar of Sunlight laundry soap (or Fels-Naptha or Ivory)
1 cup Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax

Add 4 cups hot water to a small saucepan. Grate the bar of soap that you are using and add it to the saucepan. Heat over low heat until the soap is melted. This step will take awhile, so be patient. Stir the melted soap and water to mix the solution.

Fill a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 way with hot water. Add the melted soap, Borax and Washing Soda. fill the bucket to the top with more hot tap water. Use a large, wooden spoon to stir the mixture. Let sit overnight to thicken!

The next day the mixture will look gloppy and congealed. Stir it well and dispense it into a clean laundry soap bottle filling the bottle only 1/2 way. Top the bottle with hot water.

Shake before each use. It will yield 10 gallons. For HE machines, use 1/4 cup per load. For top-loading machines, use 1/2 cup per load.

For Homemade, Inexpensive Laundry Stain Remover:

Mix 1 part Blue Dawn Original dish soap to 2 parts Hydrogen Peroxide.
Store in a dark bottle (it needs to be dark to protect the hydrogen peroxide - that is why hydrogen peroxide always comes in a dark bottle). You can add a pump sprayer to the top of the bottle if you have one from something else. This stuff is AMAZING. Just spray it on a stain, rub it a bit and repeat if necessary. Launder as normal. Works especially good on organic stains like blood.

cabingal3
# Posted: 28 Jul 2015 23:50

hattie.thanks so much.
i use to make my own laundry soap in powder form.fels naptha and borax and washing soda.its good stuff.cheap.loved it.
now i just buy that zote soap.it is a huge bar.
i cut off a 1/2 inch slice and keep it out of water and it last forever.i love the smell and the color.pink.
so 97 cents for a huge bar.
i bought 2 huge bars when i posted on june 25th.
i just now opened the second bar.so it works out that i am spending 97 cents a month for laundry soap.pretty cheap.

paqcrewmama
# Posted: 24 Aug 2015 19:43

Rockies, I bookmarked that machine!

I'm a huge fan of Carla Emery. She wrote of doing her laundry with a "clean" toilet plunger and two buckets-one with the soapy water and one with the rinse water. She agitated with the toilet plunger. LOL I absolutely LOVE the old fashioned two tub systems where you plunger and washed on one side, then set the clothes through the hand-wringer in the middle to the rinse tub and then back through the wringer before hanging on the line to dry.

I've used the local laundrymat and now my parents live in the same town as our cabin so I can go there but I have hand washed shirts, underwear, bras and shorts in the sink and bathtub and just squeezed out as much water as possible and hung on the porch rail to dry.

That said, I'm sure there will be days when I don't want to be outside in the cold hand washing and I think that little machine would be awesome as a backup! I could slide it or put it on a roller cart and pull it in and out of the bathroom clothes and use the bathroom sink or bathtub for water! Sweet little unit!

OH and I own a frugal website and many of us make our own laundry detergent. I use the shred attachment on my Kitchen Aid to finely shred 3 bars of fels naphtha soap to which I mix one box of A&H washing soda and one box of borax (I make my detergent on nice breezy days so I can mix the ingredients outside with ample ventilation-don't get the stuff in your eyes or nose). I do use more soap-one son is machinist, and all three sons are smelly teenage males (need I say more? ) and frankly, I'm a seriously outdoor girl who can get pretty dirty and smelly. The homemade detergent actually gets out the body odor better than ANY store bought detergent I've ever used (it's a clean smell, not a perfumy covering smell). Low suds so you can even use in HE units.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.