Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Finally made a goof with my batteries for solar - advice needed
p0rtia
# Posted: 22 Jun 2015 18:58

My first, happily minor, disaster after seven years of working with a solar system. Tried to wire two 6-v golf cart batteries in series without checking first. Forgot that I am a half-taught tyro. Connected pos to neg with 2 gauge cable. Great. Connected the other two terminals--sparks, flame, melting lead. Was able to get the second cable off, fortunately. Net result-- Batt A: neg terminal half melted away and a pea-sized hole burned through the top of the batt case; first cable welded onto the pos post. Batt B: second cable welded onto pos terminal. Idiot.

After making sure the melting had stopped at that, I zoomed to the Internet and discovered my mistake. Second cable = short the batts. Got it.

So question one is: are the batts fried? Just Batt A with the melted post and the hole in it? I've read that I can get a PVC plug and plug the hole, but do I want to do that (it's not leaking, as the hole is in the top).

Question two: Can somebody hold my hand while I wire it when I get the batts sorted out? I've got the jitters now, because I really don't have a feel for electric stuff, even though I've successfully wired a bank of batts in series parallel before. I assume that, after I use one cable to connect the neg of batt A to the pos of Batt B, I should connect the batts to my charge control using the pos of batt A and the neg of Batt B. But I have totally lost confidence, now that I have seen my first melt. Jeebus.

Haven't been here in a while. Must update pix of my sweet cabin and my garden. And I'm getting a Nature's Head this week. Lap of luxury. Glad I didn't burn it down *shudder*.

Steve_S
# Posted: 23 Jun 2015 08:41

Thank Goodness they didn't explode or catch fire and all are safe.

The BATT with the hole is toast... if it blew a hole in it, the plates are shot. The second batt may have had a bit more electrolyte but you can bet that internally it's likely quite a mess.

The wires used should be viewed as compromised as there are likely weakened spots in them now...

Time to buy new batteries & cables, at least your still around to do it.

Hopefully these diagrams below will help you.
2x 6 volt in series for 12v
2x 6 volt in series for 12v
4x 6 volt in series for 12v
4x 6 volt in series for 12v

p0rtia
# Posted: 23 Jun 2015 11:18

Bless your heart, Steve. Thanks. The cost of replacing the batteries is minor compared to the cost of replacing the cabin, or an eye. Not to mention the incredible heartache I would have experienced.

I'm attaching a piccy of the batts so you can see the hole and the shorted post. I've also got arrows pointing to the two welded posts/nuts, though you can't see how neatly they are welded.

So my problem now is, I can't get the caps off the cells because the slide mechanism is blocked by the welded posts/nuts. I wanted to check to see the condition of the inside of the batts, but no luck. Can I assume that welding is welding, and the only way I'm gonna get those cables off is with a hacksaw?

Honestly, I'm just covering all the bases before I swap them out for new ones. NOrmally I'm a cautious soul.

And for jollies, here's a piccy of my back garden, where four years ago there was naught but rubble.[img=null]null[/img]
bad_batts.jpg
bad_batts.jpg
cabin_garden_june_20.jpg
cabin_garden_june_20.jpg

Steve_S
# Posted: 23 Jun 2015 19:38

Honestly and sadly, take those batteries in as Cores and forget'em... I'd wager $50 the plates are cooked and THAT would be a suckers bet. Seriously don't waste any more time on them.

That little garden looks pretty productive and growing well. Enjoy it and sit out there more often enjoying your favourite "refreshments" while pondering the plants growth.

p0rtia
# Posted: 23 Jun 2015 21:47

Will do, Steve, thanks!

MtnDon
# Posted: 25 Jun 2015 13:36

It may be a long shot but don't give up without finding a good battery shop first. Melted posts can be rebuilt. A hole in the case does not necessarily mean the insides are melted / toasted. You may or may not have a shop that can handle that locally, but it is worth a look first. I have seen a post that was melted almost flat re-poured.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.