Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Quick wiring question
littlesalmon4
# Posted: 8 Jul 2015 16:18

When wiring 4 6 volt batteries in a series parallel system can you wire the positive leads together and then add a lead for output or should the negative and positive leads be wired to a bus-bar. My worry is will you drain one set of batteries more that the other if not connected through a bus-bar.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Jul 2015 22:15

I would not use a bus bar, just short jumpers. I assume you are making a 12V system using the 4 6 volt batteries? (you mentioned series/parallel)

razmichael
# Posted: 8 Jul 2015 22:41

Agree - no need to get fancy with this setup - more of an issue when stringing four or more in series. Couple of examples
Trojan
12Volt side of life.
With bigger strings you start to run into the issue with in-balance in the discharge and charge. Good example of wiring solutions for these situations SmartGauge

creeky
# Posted: 9 Jul 2015 09:03

you are correct to be concerned. You do need to wire your batteries carefully. the sites razmichael points out have good diagrams. smartgauge has a nice discussion of why to use certain techniques. 12volt has better pictures for your set up - 4 6 v wired as one 12v pack.

it is said to be best to keep your wiring identical lengths, something to plan for in your set up and battery placement.

a small bus bar would be a very good idea. wire your inverter and charger lines side by side to improve efficiency. nope. don't know why, but that's what I've heard.

then wire the two battery leads into the bus bar beside the input line.

are you connecting to solar?

good luck.

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 9 Jul 2015 12:22

Thanks for the answers guys.
Yes they are connected to solar.

creeky
# Posted: 9 Jul 2015 13:30

for the bus bars here's what I used.

probably overkill for you. but you can find smaller ones at most pro electric places. they can be pricey. but oh so very convenient. and heck. you only need two.

rayyy
# Posted: 12 Jul 2015 08:32

When hooking up gadgets(loads)to batteries you have to be conscientious about never hooking up anything directly to the battery without putting a fuse block in with low amp fuses for overload protection.There is nothing more dangerous than a dead short in a circuit or wire with out any way of stopping it from getting so hot that it catching on fire.That's where the fuse would blow and prevent the fire from occurring.

creeky
# Posted: 12 Jul 2015 08:54

like rayyy says. don't forget to fuse the hot line heading out to the inverter/loads.

on real small systems the inverter is probably already fused. many devices come with fuses. but on something with 4 deep cycles. you'll want a 200/300 amp class t fuse.

go to amazon and put class t fuse in the search box. you'll see plenty. the blue sea fuses are good quality and not that 'spensive.

so. I always have a story. upgrading my solar system I had to fiddle with the cables. Well, doesn't my positive cable to the inverter slip out of my hand? I'm not worried, but it falls to the one exact spot where it can touch the ground line. 1200 amps go POW.

Luckily I was fused and it was just a matter of putting in a new fuse. Unfused that's a plasma welding event perhaps leading to a fire or worse.

Needless to say that 1" spot is now taped.

and I have got to replace these fumble fingers. but I go to amazon and just don't see the "ezee lock bionic hand" replacements in stock yet.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.