Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Dumb electrical hack question
davestreck
# Posted: 9 Jul 2015 21:35

At the risk of exposing my deep electrical ignorance:

I've got a small electronic device with a built in battery (this). The power port on the back is labeled "12v" and accepts a small plug connected to an AC wall charger. See below:

My question: can I simply cut off the wall adapter end and splice on a 12v male cigarette lighter plug? Will I fry the device if I try this?

Is it obvious how little I understand about electricity? Please help me not burn my cabin down.

darz5150
# Posted: 9 Jul 2015 22:59

I would think as long as its 12 volts DC, it wouldn' t be a problem. Look at the plug in adaptor your cutting off. It should be labeled with input voltage and output voltage.
You said there is a built in battery in the unit? Is it a portable amplifier or something? I see that there is a 1/4 inch audio input.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 9 Jul 2015 23:20

I don't think the 12V would be an issue, but what about the Amp rating (current)? Wall transformers are usually low amperage in output, so would attaching through a 12V plug to a battery (which can supply much higher amperage) damage the device?

I don't know, which is why I'm asking...

darz5150
# Posted: 9 Jul 2015 23:39 - Edited by: darz5150

Quoting: PA_Bound
but what about the Amp rating (current)? Wall transformers are usually low amperag

You are correct.The transformer may have an output of only milliamps.
I guess I got sidetracked trying to figure out what it is and why it has a battery.
I have a guitar processor that transforms from 120 volts a/c to 9 volts a/c. I never figured out why, but only one transformer works with it.
Thanks for correcting my over site. Sorry davestreck. Thanks PA.
BrainFart on my part.

razmichael
# Posted: 10 Jul 2015 07:01 - Edited by: razmichael

This should work just fine. Amperage is not an issue (only the reverse - when something needs to draw more than available or through too small wires). I have a Wilson Cell Booster and a weather radio both wired/fused direct to the 12VDC system. It should be fused and make sure you have the Neg/Pos wiring correct. Many of the "cigarette lighter" plugs have a built in fuse. Invest in a cheap multi-meter. Sometimes the wiring will be marked (such as a white line or small '+' signs but not always. In your case the center pin is + and the outer -. Some devices will be protected if you reverse the polarity but some will just go up in a puff of smoke.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 10 Jul 2015 09:06

OK, wall plug??? Is this 12VDC an input or an output??? In other words, do you plug it into the wall, its powered by 12VDC via the transformer (which would have a built in rectifier for DC) and supplys you with 5VDC out a USB port and an HDMI? Or is there another AC input to this and this is also an additional output?

My questions is :is this 12VDC an output or input? It sounds like an input only. But I'm not sure.

Also, if it does have internal batteries, it may charge it using 12V but may have a regulator inside for lower voltages for battery. So this output (if its even that, I have my doubts) may not be 12VDC out.

groingo
# Posted: 10 Jul 2015 09:17

Why not just run the battery power through an inverter and just plug it into that, no hacking or cutting?

razmichael
# Posted: 10 Jul 2015 09:21

This is a 12V input that provides power to the device through the provided 120AC to 12VDC wall adapter. The projector contains a rechargeable battery that is also charged when the unit is plugged in. It can be run while plugged in or onloy off the internal battery. It also provides a USB type output 5vdc to charge up your phones etc whether plugged in or not. There is a descrepancy with a statement made on the web page and the manual - web page discusses charging via USB but the manual clearly states that charging is done through the 12V adapter and the USB port is to power USB devices.

I don't see any problems - just bypassing the 120AC-12DC adapter to power the unit and charge the internal battery. I will admit that the only potential issue I can see is if the internal battery charger is really really badly made and will allow the batteries to charge too fast when provided with the potential to grab more amps than provided through the wall adapter - highly unlikely.

razmichael
# Posted: 10 Jul 2015 09:24

Quoting: groingo
Why not just run the battery power through an inverter and just plug it into that, no hacking or cutting?

I suppose this would depend very much on your overall system. I do not run my inverter unless I need it for the rare times I run the vacuum, hair dryer, blender. In my case, running the inverter just to then convert this back down to 12V to power my cell booster, radio (or the projector) would not make sense. If I had a system with the inverter generally always on then sure. Not sure what the OP has.

davestreck
# Posted: 10 Jul 2015 11:17

Quoting: razmichael
Not sure what the OP has

I do have an inverter, but I want to be able to charge the projector in the car/boat, plus we want to do "movie night" on the front porch and I have a 12v cig outlet right there. In a pinch I could run an extension cord out the window, but it would be nice to plug it in directly to my 12v system.

I will check the rated input/output on the wall adapter, that might give me more solid info.

Thanks to all for their responses. I'm a little hesitant to hack this thing. I'd hate to fry it considering it cost $250

davestreck
# Posted: 10 Jul 2015 11:19

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
is this 12VDC an output or input?

The 12v port is a power input only. The USB port simply exists to charge cell phones etc from the internal battery.

creeky
# Posted: 10 Jul 2015 15:21

Raz had it right. It doesn't matter what the amperage is as long as the voltage is correct and the amps are enough.

just remember tho that your "12v" regulated current is not the same as a "12v" battery. Your battery is, fully charged 12.7. Charging it might reach 14.5.

Normally this is not a problem. Most "12v" appliances are quite happy between 10 and 16v.

But I know my "12v" Lepai stereo amplifier is said grumble and may emit "magic smoke" at over 14.5v. So if I was charging with a solar system or a generator of unknown voltage. Well. You get the idea.

I also would not charge in the boat. <warning. kidding> unless I was water skiing or wake boarding. then the addition of water and high G force bouncing induces the electrons to leap and dance in a frenetic manner. this is the fabled "party hard charging." which, while exciting at the time, causes a sensitivity to light the following day.

But not to be too silly. Cig away my friend. cig away. And your user manual for the projector probably has a dc voltage range hidden at the back in the spec charts.

davestreck
# Posted: 10 Jul 2015 18:40 - Edited by: davestreck

Quoting: creeky
It doesn't matter what the amperage is as long as the voltage is correct and the amps are enough.

Thanks. A co-worker who does most of our marine systems wiring and troubleshooting confirmed the same thing. As long as the polarity is right in my splice it should work out fine.

Now I just need to rig up a screen between a couple of trees and movie night will be a go!

davestreck
# Posted: 10 Jul 2015 19:00

More Googling revealed this. Now I just need to find a similar one with the correct size/polarity 12v plug and I wont have to cut up the AC adapter that came with the projector.

Man, I love the internet.

creeky
# Posted: 10 Jul 2015 20:06

hey what about us. don't you love us too?

you can also just take an old 12v plug (black liner) and cut the adapter/plug end off if you find one at ... flea market / donation / bargain warehouse etc

strip the wire for direct contact to the battery. the positive will have either a ridge along the wire or a pale/coloured line. the negative will be smooth, uniform colour.

that's going to be super fun. movies at the cottage. now you just need a sound system.

come on. where's the love.

davestreck
# Posted: 10 Jul 2015 21:06

Hell yes, many thanks to all. This forum is such a bloody good resource. Where else would I have gotten such helpful replies?

All due props!

Quoting: creeky
that's going to be super fun. movies at the cottage. now you just need a sound system.

Covered: wireless bluetooth speaker. I can't wait! Campfire popcorn, lemonade (G&Ts for the grownups), and The Empire Strikes Back on DVD thru my laptop on a big screen in the woods. And all of it miles from civilization. What a world we live in!

pizzadude
# Posted: 10 Jul 2015 23:59

Yep. Creeky correct. Splice cigarette male to your units input wires.
No problem.
Polarity is of importance, of course.
I've done this same thing before. Not with a projector, but same application.
Internal fuse should be in place.
Enjoy your movies🍕

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.