Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Connecting Different Size 12v Batteries?
toddheyn
# Posted: 10 Sep 2010 15:24

I have two deep cycle AGM marine batteries that are series 27s. I also have a regular deep cycle marine battery that is a series 24. Is it possible to connect the 24 to the others? Will the smaller battery limit the energy output or the charging capability of the other two?

Curious as to what you think.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 10 Sep 2010 16:33

I am not familiar with those particular batteries, but generally, you can connect batteries, "in-parallel" (i.e. "+" to "+", "-" to "-" ), provided that:
a) your charge controller (or whatever you use for charging) can handle the increased load, and
b) all batteries are OK (if at least one is old, defective or damaged, it will drain energy from other batteries and make your setup useless).

Mutley
# Posted: 13 Sep 2010 21:32

I've read that it's preferable to use always the same type battery in a bank.. Also something people not always think about when using more than 2 batteries in parallel is how to hook them up. You usually ending up with drawing the current from the same 2 or 3 batteries batteries depending on how you're connected. Here's a good web site explaining how to hook a 4 battery bank :

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.