Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / ClassT fuse vs ANL
trplite
# Posted: 13 Jul 2015 13:28

I have a Tripplite APS 1250 power inverter I'm using for a backup sump pump. It's hooked up with two class 31 sealed 12 volt batteries. I have a 200 amp ANL fuse and holder. I do not like the way my fuse holder is required to be hooked up. I want to use a Go Power FBL-200 Class T 200 Amp Fuse with Block. This is a class T fuse instead of an ANL fuse. Would that be ok to do? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Steve961
# Posted: 13 Jul 2015 16:49

My favorite method for fusing batteries is the Blue Sea terminal fuse block. Attaches directly to the battery, so it's as close to the battery as possible. Fuses are available from 30 to 300 amps.
5191.jpg
5191.jpg

MtnDon
# Posted: 13 Jul 2015 16:56 - Edited by: MtnDon

No problem subbing a Class T fuse for an ANL; but maybe not the other way around. Class T fuses have a much higher AIC rating (AIC = amperage interrupt current) which makes them a better fuse for possible high current situations than the ANL. Lead acid batteries should always be considered a possible high amperage situation. A dead shorted lead acid battery can output over 5000 amps. With an ANL fuse it is possible the fuse could make a huge visible, open air, arc flame across the already blown fuse gap. That could last until the fuse and fuse holder are melted enough to make a gap large enough to extinguish the arc.

IIRC, the ANL is rated at 5 - 6,000 amps AIC. The Class T I have are rated at over 20,000 amps AIC. Class T cost more, in part because of that.

Note the AIC rating is always higher than the "ordinary" ampacity rating. There is no normal correlation between the two and the AIC rating is sometimes hard to find without access to the product data sheets.

All that said an ANL probably provides good protection for a couple of 12 volt batteries like yours. Increasing the number amp capacity by adding more batteries would be best served by the Class T fuses.

Also keep in mind that the cables must be of sufficient size to handle the design current. No sense having a 200 amp fuse if the wires are only rated for 90 amps.

trplite
# Posted: 13 Jul 2015 20:40

Thank you both for the reply. I am using 2 gauge cable which is called for by the manufacturer. I just want to be able to cut and strip both ends of the battery cable for the fuse. Then put it into the fuse holder and bolt it down just like how the cables go into the inverter. This way it's only one positive cable that I just cut the rings off. I can't seem to find that kind of holder for the ANL fuse but the class T fuse is that way. Tripplite recommended ANL but I just wanted to make sure class T would not cause any problems. They wouldn't give me an answer about the class T.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.