Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Should I drain my water tank ?
jace
# Posted: 13 Jul 2015 17:01

for the past 3 years I have been using an above ground 275 gal. tote (painted) to collect rain water for showering / dishes etc. NOT used for drinking. I usually treat it with 1 cup 35% hydrogen peroxide in spring and fall, drain/disconnect in winter, clean, hookup, fill in the spring. Water has always been clear/no odor using this process. This year I added a 100 micron 1" "sock" filter where the water enters into the tank to catch debris and i'm having an issue with brownish and foul smelling water this year.

Is the sock hanging in the water with the debris in it causing this ? Should I drain clean and start over. or will adding a post pump filter take care of it.

Also looking to hear what other's are using for post tank/pump filters. and what are you adding to your tanks, if anything for water conditioning/treatment ?

Thanks for the help

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 14 Jul 2015 18:28

Quoting: jace
Is the sock hanging in the water with the debris in it causing this ?

It is possible. It creates a media for the bacteria growth.
Consider adding more treatment (peroxide or chlorine) or mounting the sock higher so it is not in contact with the tank water all the time.

creeky
# Posted: 15 Jul 2015 08:06

sounds like you have a pretty good tea bag going there.

first thing i would do is move the teabag outta there. and then a shock treatment.

i know somewhere there's a shock treatment table. you probably only need around 1/4 cup for 250 gal.

Bret
# Posted: 15 Jul 2015 08:46

Just added chlorine bleach to my 275 gal. totes. The recipe called for 5/8 of a cup for each of the totes.

I've tried something different as far as uv prevention. Some paint the totes or wrap them in black plastic before inserting them into the cages. I set up the cages, plumbing wise, then fashioned a uv resistant tarp over the whole thing. I can easily see the water levels and get to any fixtures in the future.

I never liked the idea of the 6 ml. black plastic because that stuff always degrades over time, becomes brittle and falls apart.

razmichael
# Posted: 15 Jul 2015 08:47

Here are a couple of sources:
EPA
USArmy

Note that both these sites are looking at disinfecting for drinking water rather than just wash and shower water so may be overkill for normal use (however you may need to do one good cleanup to sort out the 'teabag' problem).

bldginsp
# Posted: 15 Jul 2015 08:47

On my rainwater collection system I used the theory of removing everything (or as much as possible) before it gets in the tank. I have a fine mesh screen on the gutter that collects the water, and a first flush diverter to divert away the dust and bird poop that washes down with the first flush when it starts to rain. The water in the tank doesn't smell, and is clear and fine for all except drinking.

The problem with any filter is it has to be cleaned or you have a biology experiment on your hands.

Just
# Posted: 18 Jul 2015 10:39

SOOOO this green moss grows on top of my filter bed , not sure what it,s called ,but it works . The system has been up and running for 8 years . Water is always clear and sweet , we drink it after boiling.
I add 1 tbs of bleach weekly . the tank is drained during winter months.
filter
filter
and tank
and tank
moss
moss

jace
# Posted: 23 Jul 2015 20:06

Thanks guys, do you think the formula for bleach would be the same for hydrogen peroxide? anyone out there using hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach does bleach work better.
I was trying to run on the theory of cleaning as much as possible before the tank. fine mesh gutter screens, first flush diverter, and mesh sock filter. I'm leaning towards the "tea bag" effect after reading the replies and it never happening before this year.

Thanks again

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.