Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Lets see those gardens
neb
# Posted: 19 Jul 2015 23:03

I do miss my small farm and the large gardens I had. Lets see some pictures and what have you put on your plate so far this growing season?

Salty Craig
# Posted: 20 Jul 2015 19:20

We are eating nearly everything that can be grown. At least what we like.
Corn, new potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, zucchini, squash, etc.

Early stuff like rhubarb and lettuce are over. Now before you get all teary eyed over my garden.........Mrs. Salty did it.

Mr. Salty hates to garden.

Mr. Salty
Corn
Corn
Tomatoes
Tomatoes
Not sure what to call this
Not sure what to call this
The corner
The corner

neb
# Posted: 20 Jul 2015 19:59

Salty you tell your great job! You hate to garden but I bet you like to eat. Lol

I envy you really nice looking garden Salty.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 20 Jul 2015 20:12

neb

I do like to eat it. I'm beat till I get home every evening, so I don't help much. I'm glad my wife likes to garden. The food we harvest is a quality that cannot be bought.

She cans and freezes enough that we never buy veggies. The can room in basement and freezer are full till mid August. I wish everyone could eat the quality that we do. It's fantastic. It's how I grew up. We know no other way.

Craig

neb
# Posted: 20 Jul 2015 22:40

I grew up the same way and nothing compares to home grown veggies. I was just kidding you a little on the garden work. You are a lucky man to have a wife that cans and does those things. I think it has become a lost skill.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 21 Jul 2015 06:22 - Edited by: Salty Craig

neb

No offense taken.

naturelover66
# Posted: 21 Jul 2015 11:27

Beautiful Garden Salty...... and wow... what a view.
Very very nice.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 21 Jul 2015 17:08

naturelover66
Many thanks. I have a fantastic view and the garden credit goes to my wife.

Craig

Gary O
# Posted: 23 Jul 2015 22:56 - Edited by: Gary O

Well, I'll tell y'all, I never thought much would come to this first attempt at gardening here in the pumice capital of Oregon.
I could hardly bear to look when my lady started tilling the 'soil' with her mattock back in late April.
I mean if the frost didn't get things, the critters were bound to ravage whatever meager plants struggled above ground.
But, there she'd be, out by her garden, pellet gun in hand morning and night, on alert.
I was thinking it should be aptly named her 'guardin', 'cause that's what she did, along with hauling water before we got the pump in, and covering certain susceptible crops before nightfall.

However

We've been eatin' salad and soup for awhile now

I'll let her tell you what all she's raisin'.....I just eat it

One crop that suffered daily was the bush beans.
I say daily 'cause the tree rats pulled 'em from their underground bunkers, one or two at a time until all, everyone, was gone. It was like in the cartoons. They sunk lower and lower, then 'phoomp', gone.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 24 Jul 2015 12:06

Beautiful gardens! How I envy you all!

I used to do a nice garden here in Texas until the drought years hit us and there was little point. Hotter than hell for several months, no rain, huge cracks in the land, and water restrictions do not a good garden make. It just figures that the Spring/Summer I'm laid up in the hospital, we get abundant rain and lower temps (for Texas).

Gary, do you and Cabi have a greenhouse anywhere in your building plans?

hattie
# Posted: 24 Jul 2015 12:37

Finally got a chance to get out there with the camera.
Our main garden
Our main garden
The back garden
The back garden
Part of our raspberries with grapes in the background
Part of our raspberries with grapes in the background
One of our apple trees showing socks on the fruit to prevent coddling moth (and deer)
One of our apple trees showing socks on the fruit to prevent coddling moth (and deer)

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 24 Jul 2015 12:53

Oh, how beautiful, Hattie! What type of apple trees do you have?

hattie
# Posted: 24 Jul 2015 13:17

Hi Julie2Oregon - we have one Transparent, one Liberty (the one in the photo) and one Gravenstein. We also have a Green Gage Plum tree.

naturelover66
# Posted: 24 Jul 2015 16:59 - Edited by: naturelover66

My garden
garden
garden

neb
# Posted: 24 Jul 2015 18:47

Great looking gardens!! When I raises vegetables it was fun planning it out durning those long winter days. Then the planting started and before long I was harvesting what I raised. It was very rewarding but a lot of work. I had 2 acres so it kind of kept me busy.

Thank for sharing your garden pictures they look great.

naturelover66
# Posted: 24 Jul 2015 21:40

I have the worst time posting pics here. Anyway...those are my squash and cucumbers.

Gary O
# Posted: 24 Jul 2015 22:12

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
Gary, do you and Cabi have a greenhouse anywhere in your building plans?

We sure do

riiiight after the addition (we are doing now), the wood shed, the utility shed, aand the shop...and after bucking and chopping all the downed trees...

I'd like to say next summer, but plans are a bit busy for awhile

Gary O
# Posted: 24 Jul 2015 22:20

Quoting: naturelover66
I have the worst time posting pics here. Anyway...those are my squash and cucumbers.

didn't think all that was growin' on the wall...

here ya go, nl

cabingal3
# Posted: 24 Jul 2015 22:26

Lisa.that squash plant is so huge.wow.beautiful.

naturelover66
# Posted: 25 Jul 2015 08:43

Thank you!! I appreciate the help with the photo.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.