Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / My hat's off to my little Honda genny.
rayyy
# Posted: 8 Aug 2015 16:31

She is 3 years old now.She's been fired up atleast 8 to 12 hours a day,every single day for all 3 years and she still purr's like a kitten.Thank you little Honda EU2000I.My electric bill run's about $15.00 to $20.00 a week.There is no way you folk's
can beat that being on the grid!Fresh Honda oil every month and she's good to go!I vote her number one most MVP for being off grid.

creeky
# Posted: 8 Aug 2015 17:14 - Edited by: creeky

Congratulations Rayyy.

bobrok
# Posted: 8 Aug 2015 17:31

Love our Honda EU2000i!
Now we're quite the opposite! Use ours rarely, maybe a few dozen times a year, but it STILL starts right up, runs smoothly and quietly, and I trust it's reliability. Change oil, fresh gas...all it needs.
One of my best investments!

MtnDon
# Posted: 8 Aug 2015 17:34 - Edited by: MtnDon

Creeky edited his initial post.... but I'll leave what I stated.....
There is little doubt in my mind that PV solar, plus batteries, plus CC, plus inverter, plus odds 'n' ends makes for better long term electricity. But it does require the large up front cost for the hardware. And most off gridders with solar also have a generator. So the capital outlay is even higher initially. (Most, not all; a friend of mine has been off grid for a dozen years, has no generator and manages quite well. But he does has two pole top trackers for his 2 Kw of PV.)

If one is going to rely on a generator a Honda is an excellent choice. They do run a very long time; but not forever. For a generator only system I'd suggest looking at a propane conversion as that can extend engine oil life considerably.

If you compare to grid tied folks, many pay $10 or more per month just for the privilege of being connected. But then they don't have to buy gas, change oil, etc.

Different ways to skin the cat and not all ways suit everyone.

groingo
# Posted: 8 Aug 2015 18:31

rayyy: Just curious, how much power you use per day and how much of that
is in Eco mode and above?

MtnDon
# Posted: 8 Aug 2015 18:42 - Edited by: MtnDon

Quoting: bobrok
Use ours rarely

Same here. We have two EU2000i actually; 1 is @ cabin the other @ home / trailer.. I run them every couple of months and then drain the carb bowl. I keep minimal gas in the built in tank and always with stabilizer. The gas that sits in the gas cans gets stabilizer too and is cycled through the truck at least once a year (whatever is left from 6 months or more before.) I tag the cans with a square of tape with the filled on date. If it was on propane I could dispense with all that , but I don't think it is worth the cost of a conversion for me. But I might change my mind one day if I get lazy....

Gary O
# Posted: 8 Aug 2015 19:26

I appreciate this thread
We have the Ryobi ryi2200
Paid $600 at home dopey
Not unhappy with it but will get the Honda and use the Ryobi for back up

pizzadude
# Posted: 8 Aug 2015 20:22

Yeah two thumbs up for good old reliable Honda eu2000i.
I'm like a couple of folks that chimed in above, got two of them, one's a reg eu2000i, the other is the companion model that has the 30 amp female and with both I have the ability to link them together for some of the more heavier loads. Both purr like kittens, like rayyy's machines(and everyone else's). Don't think there's much doubt among genny users that the eu2000i is the way to go.
I agree with mtdon however. Up front costs of a good pv system can be much, but well worth the $. Can sit in absolute silence with all the power any generator can offer. And very little maintenance.
I was very happy with the performance of my Hondas when I needed them, but when you're off-gridding, it's hard to beat the power of the sun 🍕

pizzadude
# Posted: 8 Aug 2015 21:27

Btw, if you are using Hondas solely for off grid power as much as the op is, I've built a few 6 gallon extended run gas tanks for both my gennys. Very little cost to build, and simple. Extends refueling by a factor of 6.
Feel feel to ask me about..

creeky
# Posted: 9 Aug 2015 07:39

Here's the post I edited:

If I might quibble. A genny is a good #2 anyway. er. wait a minute.

My 1kw of solar panels creates free power every day. For the past four plus years. They cost $2k (800 today?). and nothing since then.

So if I take your cost at 4.3 years of gas = $3354 to 4472 for gas VS free.

I vote solar #1 MVP for off grid power.

But a honda genny ain't no slouch. He says. Thinking. Wow. Rayyy changes his oil every month. then he thinks, ah. but Rayyy runs his genny more every two weeks than I do in a year. okay. so we have to add oil costs. labour probably evens out vs watering batteries. wait am i wandering?

Adding some numbers:

my solar system was $5k initially. Less 1800 for the batteries, it is paid for vs gas alone on running a genny. I have an electric fridge (saving me an additional $400 every year in propane) so I would need the battery pack and charger anyway.

Once I deduct the batteries I'm actually up about a $1k. And that's in under 5 years. My solar system should go for another 20 years. Now I'm saving gas each year. Call it $15,000?

Solar is easy to install and maintain. Lasts a long time. Is very quiet. And off grid is very cost effective.

cspot
# Posted: 9 Aug 2015 09:35

For full-time use Creeky I can understand solar being cheaper. Now let's say for a recreational place that a person uses for 12 weekends a year plus say 2 full weeks. I would think that the generator option may be cheaper plus can be easily removed so thieves wouldn't steal it like could happen to the solar system. Especially if the person already owns the generator.

cspot
# Posted: 9 Aug 2015 09:36

Thanks to the OP for the review on the generator as I have been looking at buying one and 3 years of steady use is a great test.

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Aug 2015 10:33

If we are going to praise the venerable Honda EU's I have two small quibbles.

1. A fuel level gauge. Yamaha has one. I like that.

2. A fuel primer like a chainsaw. That would eliminate the multiple starter cord pulls that are necessary when you store the unit with the carburetor bowl drained.

creeky
# Posted: 9 Aug 2015 12:08

cspot. you're right. And. Notice that I didn't include the generator cost in my calculations. Even with a solar system you will need a genny.

The difference is. My annual gas bill for charging my batteries when the sun don't shine is $50.

drb777
# Posted: 9 Aug 2015 12:25

I have a Generac 3500 which I use only as back-up, but I did convert it to natural gas, since I have unlimited free gas from wells on my property. Easy to start, enough amps for the AC and purrs like a kitten, but still any generator noise is unwelcome at my cabin. One of the best qualities of life in the woods is peace and quiet, 'can't put a price on that.

rayyy
# Posted: 9 Aug 2015 13:05

I have got my geny rigged up to siphon gas out of a 5 gallon gas can that sit's next to her.Never any need to remove her gas cap to fill up manually.I just pull out the siphon hose from the empty can and swap it out with a full and drop the hose back in.That lasts about a week for me.Don't have to touch it again.I do have a 120 watt solar set up charging my battery bank.It keeps the batteries charged up but still if
I am running the T.V. or computer on the batteries and the 600 watt inverter,I can only get 2 hours of runnimg time befor the low voltage starts alarming.I should try using it more often,though.I need to buy a better quality inverter.I think that will help.

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Aug 2015 13:23

Quoting: rayyy
I can only get 2 hours of runnimg time befor the low voltage starts alarming. I should try using it more often,though.I need to buy a better quality inverter. I think that will help.

That is more indicative of batteries losing capacity, maybe only one cell even.

rayyy
# Posted: 9 Aug 2015 15:59

I took them into town and had them tested by advance auto.The standard cranking load tester used on car batteries show's that all 4 are in good shape.I wish there was a way to test deep cycle sealed batteries.MtnDon,what do you suggest I do?You are probably right about one battery dragging down the others.

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Aug 2015 17:07

Flooded battery? Hydrometer gives the final and best word.
Sealed batteries, more of a problem as you can't get down to the cell level.

What kind of loads are being run when the inverter low voltage alarm sounds? One of the lead acid battery faults is voltage sag when subjected to higher loads. That is one reason I like 24 volt systems better; the amp draw is lower and the voltage sags less.

How old? What kind?

rayyy
# Posted: 9 Aug 2015 18:04

Either my desk top computer and it's internet dish equipment or my 27"tv set with a digital antenna equipment.I figure 200 to 300 watts.You would think 4 fully charged deep cycle batteries would power up one for the entire evening through my 600 watt (modified wave) inverter.

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Aug 2015 19:47 - Edited by: MtnDon

When the low voltage alarm goes off have you checked the battery voltage with a multimeter to see if the reading matches the rated low voltage warning setpint? Read each battery to see if they are more or less equal.

Reading the sp gr of all cells when that happens might help find a bad cell or two.

Are you sure the batteries start the day or evening off being truly fully charged? One of the issues faced when a generator is the sole source of battery charging is undercharging. If the batteries are routinely never fully charged their capacity gets less and less over time.

It's hard to beat PV power for finishing off the absorb cycle.

What kind of charger?
Three stage charging or not?
Equalization charges?

Was this always an issue or has it developed over time? How are the battery cable connections? Clean? Tight? If you have an IR thermometer read all the connections. Loose, high resistance connections + elevated temperatures and reduced current flow.

groingo
# Posted: 9 Aug 2015 20:50

Ah the old desktop computer, very likely that pulls 250 oand more watts alone and 45 for the monitor, laptop could drop that easily to 15.....cut cut cut cut cut, my tablet though just 7 inches pulls a whopping 2 watts, modern technology does have its advantages.

Pookie129
# Posted: 11 Aug 2015 07:26 - Edited by: Pookie129

Honda Generator all the way - but as Creeky and others said, as number 2.

In saying that, I haven't gotten my solar situation sorted out yet and have been using the Honda to "light up my life" when needed or necessary but the generator was meant to be a portable power source and a back up to what solar system I finally get together.

In the last month alone, that generator has paid for itself and then some and I couldn't be happier with a purchase.

Solar and the generator will be like having Batman and Robin at my personal disposal

And just to give an example...just this weekend I ran the generator and had the following going at once....Small fridge/freezer combo, a TV/DVD player, lights (2 wall mounted and 1 outdoor porch light) and a dyson cooling fan...all at the same time...and on a full tank of gas, the generator ran for almost 14 hours.....(13 hours and 23 minutes). I had some friends with children come up, and most of this stuff was running non-stop while the kids were around.

I find that after getting the fridge cool, if I put a block of ice in the freezer section/area, I can set the fridge to a lower temp and everything stays cool (and sometimes still frozen) - works similar to an icebox would and I haven't had any problems even when cycling the fridge/freezer - meaning 12 - 15 hours on, and then 12 - 15 hours off, etc. However, this past weekend, no cycling with kids around, so the fridge/power was constant and I still didn't have any problems....outside of having too much fun and laughing too much...lol..lol.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.