Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Paper log maker
Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 17 Aug 2015 18:17

Have any of you tried one of these? At this price, I think I'm going to order one and learn how to use it before I move to Oregon. It will be fun to burn the bricks and experiment with them in an outdoor firepit once the weather cools down here in Texas.

I'm interested in folks' experiences with this, if any! Would be a great way of recycling paper and wood scraps from building as well as saving money on firewood if it works at all!

http://www.kotulas.com/deals/home-living/fireplace-and-heaters/4in1-paper-log-maker

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 17 Aug 2015 18:19

Oh, and Kotula's has different sizes, too. There's a single brick maker for $19.99 and an 8-brick maker for $79.99, I think. I don't believe I have the strength to use the 8-brick model so the 4-brick one would make the most sense for me.

Wilbour
# Posted: 17 Aug 2015 20:47

OMG! The company's name is my wife's maiden name! You don't hear that one very often.

pizzadude
# Posted: 17 Aug 2015 22:24

Wilbour, secret family company? Get us a deal please

Seen similar ones on YouTube. Seemed to be a lot of work for little product. I dunno. Maybe I take a second look hehe..

MtnDon
# Posted: 17 Aug 2015 23:28 - Edited by: MtnDon

Seems like a whole lot of work.

Unless I had a whole lot of paper and nothing else to heat with I'd rather see the paper recycled into more paper products. That uses 60% less energy than making paper from trees. Saves water too.

Of course we have trees that need thinning for the health of the forest, so I have that wood that needs to be disposed of somehow. Paper, cardboard, etc all leaves here on the recycle truck.

Search amazon for paper brick maker.... they should have user reviews if they have something like thst

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 18 Aug 2015 00:31

Wilbour, your wife might be related to a fortune!

MtnDon, yeah, it is some work but not as strenuous for a gal like me as splitting logs. The price is right and the Amazon rating is quite good. Best price, by far, is Kotulas. From the reviews, using these along with wood works really well but the length of burn is all over the place. Maybe a lot depends on the type of paper used and how long people let them dry?

pizzadude
# Posted: 18 Aug 2015 00:53

Julie, I think density plays a big part too. Like the difference between oak and basswood.
From what I can see, how firm one can compress the log maker decides density. And that would relate to the difference in burn times.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 18 Aug 2015 12:48

pizzadude
Yes, that makes sense. I think you're right! For $40, it's a neat gadget that is worth a try, it seems. From the reviews, the ladies seem to like it and think it's worth the process, especially since you can add in natural scents. Some of the men have had trouble with the frame bending but they may be applying too much force in compressing the bricks.

I'm going to finally be discharged from the hospital next week so I think I'm going to order this at the end of the week. It will give me something to do when I get home and am regaining strength. My son can help and do the first press! I'll report our experience for anyone interested!

groingo
# Posted: 18 Aug 2015 13:35

I had one but like Don said, it was lot of work in my case heating such a small area (195 sq ft) so I found that just balling up some paper and lighting it knocked the morning chill off till I got the heater going and it didn't cook me out plus my papers are loaded with the slick advertising paper that is almost fire proof.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 18 Aug 2015 13:46

groingo
Was it strenuous work or time consuming? From the reviews, it sounds like you shred the paper, let it soak in water for 3 or more days,scoop the goop into the brickmaker and press to remove the moisture, then let them dry in the sun for at least a couple of weeks. You need to turn them so the bottom will dry out.

Is that the gist of it or is there a lot more to it? (Yeah, I read not to use that glossy ad paper because it will make the bricks not want to burn.) Some of the reviews stated that the directions that come with the machine are terrible and they learned by trial and error. So I'm trying to piece together information on this before ordering!

groingo
# Posted: 18 Aug 2015 16:41

Julie:
Yes it was time consuming and regardless depended mainly on the quality of the newspaper.
Like I mentioned above, the slick shiny usually full color paper burns lousy even when mixed in.
I even scattered some iron filings (colorful mini blow torch) to try to keep an even burn, but in the end the paper was the key problem, some burned good wound tight and some just wouldn't even smolder.
The most aggravating thing was to do all the work and some burned and some just would not, so, now I just ball a few handfuls up, chuck it into the stove, light and after just a few minutes burn the cast iron stove is toasty while I get the propane heat going.

NorthRick
# Posted: 18 Aug 2015 16:52

I have not tried one, mainly because a friend did and had a similar experience as groingo. His machine rolled the paper into "logs" but the "logs" did not burn well. He decided that regular wood was far easier to make heat than newspaper.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 18 Aug 2015 18:46

Thanks for the information and input, guys! I need to think on this!

groingo
# Posted: 18 Aug 2015 19:33

Julie:
One footnote, having collected a lot of newspaper for this, when all was done was what happened when I stored the paper, the mice and squirrels got into it, chewed it up to a fine grind with a smattering of droppings, a handful of that stuff was a pyromaniac's dream.... bring on the critters!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.