Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Highest power 12VDC water Heater
steverobertson
# Posted: 21 Aug 2015 14:58 - Edited by: steverobertson

I was looking through some of my frequented sales web sites, and ran across these 800W 12VDC water heaters. You would have to connect it to a tank and allow it to thermosiphon in order to heat a tank of water as it's designed to heat water as it passes through. Maybe it could be used directly at point of use if the water flow is low enough. I will probably order one soon to play around with. Keep in mind it's a beast, pulling nearly 70 amps! Here's the link for anyone interested:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/Miscellaneous-Electrical/Miscellaneous-Electr ical/800-WATT-12-VDC-WATER-HEATER-11-3439.axd

Cheers

creeky
# Posted: 21 Aug 2015 15:16

jeez. i'm tempted to try one too.

on a sunny day in winter. what a great way to warm the batteries. now i just need a pump, a controller, some hot water pex. a dc switch. hmmm. got the big fat cables.

I think I still have a spot on my bus bar.

sparky1
# Posted: 23 Aug 2015 07:59

66 amps is a lot of power off a 12 volt system

Don_P
# Posted: 23 Aug 2015 08:22

You could probably preheat the water over the batteries and buss

creeky
# Posted: 23 Aug 2015 09:58

my system has 1200 amps in the batteries. My two arrays can pump in up to 121 amps (60.5 ea). So a 70 amp load is no biggie.

When I'm running the dishwasher I must be around 100 amps. And when the fridge turns on I probably get up to 160 amps in surge. And yup. The ol' batteries heat up some when the dishwasher is running and the batts get called upon to supply power. (normally I run only under full sun so the power is coming direct from panels to the inverter)

So in the winter I could top up my batteries and then turn on a pump and the water heater to warm up the batteries. And in the summer I could use the same system to cool the batteries.

I wonder if there's a zigbee compatible timer that could switch the 70 amps DC I could hook up ... hmmm.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.