Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Honda 2000 generator gets bumped by Champion
groingo
# Posted: 9 Sep 2015 13:36 - Edited by: groingo

I know, nobody can be better than Honda but there are conditions when you need electric start and this is one.

Several months ago my 87 year young mother got new carpet, nature called in the middle of the night....she tripped and fell shattering her shoulder socket.

Months later she is back feisty as ever but her right arm and shoulder will need some time plus she always needed help to get the Honda started as she doesn't have the strength for the sharp pull required while it never has been an easy starting generator even with me, typically over five sharp pulls before it goes.

So, in an effort to prevent another accident and wrecking her other arm or an outright train wreck (mom panicks easy), I ordered the Champion opting for a generator with electric start that has a good reputation, so I ordered the Champion 4000 for the following reasons.

First, it was the smallest reputable generator with electric start and auto choke. Being that her power is out several times a year seldom over 4 hours, fuel mileage is not a real issue, her power requirements are minimal under 500 watts at the worst and it needs to roll easily.

In the end like the Honda it will have an easy life as the Honda did in its 12 years with under 100 hours on it and kept while not in use inside in a heated garage and kept spotless by yours truly.

Now comes the bonus as the Honda is already spoken for at $800.00 which means mom will have $337.00 to go crazy with.

creeky
# Posted: 9 Sep 2015 13:43

yer a good son.

hope yer mom heals up good.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Sep 2015 17:27

Easy solution, Honda EU3000is (electric start)

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Sep 2015 18:20

More money, but I would be more comfortable with a Honda or Yamaha. A friend has over 2500 hours on a EU3000i the last time I asked him.

groingo
# Posted: 9 Sep 2015 18:24

Toy:
It was the first one I thought of, then Yamaha but due to her minimal power requirements and occasional outages spending four and a half times more just didn't make a lot of sense.

groingo
# Posted: 9 Sep 2015 19:23 - Edited by: groingo

Don:
And there is the rub, in over twelve years use her Honda has maybe a hundred hours on it....so I had to do a reality check.

beachman
# Posted: 10 Sep 2015 10:42

I will vouch for the Champion as being a good low-cost alternative. I have had one for four years and it runs great. I use it mainly in the summer for building projects - power tools and log splitters. If someone stole this one I would be upset but not crushed if it was a more expensive model.

groingo
# Posted: 12 Sep 2015 10:43 - Edited by: groingo

The Champion 4000 arrived yesterday, five days early, was very well packaged with excellent instructions and even a poster showing what everything does and why also with how to basics which is posted on the wall above the generator just in case.

Giving it a good once over everything looked in place and of quite good quality, with again a high degree of fit and finish.

Installing the wheels, stand and handle took minutes while adding the pre measured oil,filling with the included funnel made it a snap, putting just one gallon of fuel in (for shakedown) last thing was to hook up the battery,do a double check and start.

Turning the main power battery switch to on, and letting mom push the start
button where it turned over twice and fired right up!

We did try the included remote which has a slight delay before it starts and stops the motor but that will not be used, I prefer to be with things if something goes wrong rather than find out after the damage is done.

Wheeling the generator to where you need it is easy as the folding grab handle just works and when not in use just drops down out of the way, simple elegant.

When running there is a digital readout of the voltage output while the fuel gauge is something less than accurate, best to just unscrew the filler and look.

Sound levels both in garage and outside were minimal while exhaust ran through a large muffler.....we both agreed it sounded very nice.

After 15 minutes running the oil was drained to check for any metal residue and none were found (which unlike the Powerhouse generator I have) had chunks and needed to be flushed several times before showing clean.

The final thing to be done is to cut a hole in the garage wall for exhaust outlet so mumsy won't have to jockey anything around, just walk to the garage, fire it up and plug it in and forget it.

The Honda 2000 leaving after 12 years recouped all but 16 dollars leaving mom after everything with $337.00 Mad Money!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Sep 2015 21:31

A hole in the garage wall wont be enough, you will still get CO inside the garage. Unless you put an extraction system (blower system that sucks and mounted outside) you will get CO inside the garage/house.

groingo
# Posted: 12 Sep 2015 22:22 - Edited by: groingo

The outside exhaust pipe clamps directly onto the exhaust, just beyond the spark arrestor muffler flange which looked to be made just for something like this, there is no leakage and it exhausts using 2 inch pipe to the outside with no external fans and works very well just like the two previous generators which we did the same way.

Because the generator does make heat, two windows are left partially open for air exchange....simple but works good.

Finally, the garage is seperrate to the house and can only be accessd from outside so there is no chance of infiltration.

Like they say, this isn't my first Rodeo.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 13 Sep 2015 14:33

I have a 2000 Watt Champion. Grabbed it for $300. Two pulls max to start. Quiet and runs what I need it to run. Very pleased with my Champion.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Sep 2015 18:21

Quoting: groingo
Finally, the garage is separate to the house and can only be accessed from outside so there is no chance of infiltration.

Well, that is fine in itself the fact its detached.

I have a buddy who has a 40X60 detached shop and he runs his (Honda EU6500is) inside, doors closed etc with no exhaust venting outside, he vents it inside the shop. He said it makes is super quiet that way (as quiet as a 2000 anyway) and kills any bugs and mice that may have infiltrated in it.

groingo
# Posted: 13 Sep 2015 19:41 - Edited by: groingo

Toy:
NO VENTING, with a 6500 watter, YIKES!

All of ours have been vented both inside and outside air, the first was a an ONAN 6500 watt whole house, then the little Honda and now the Champion.

Double insulated pipe is used going through the wall (double wall with air space) with a flapper or backflow preventer on the end.

I guess regarding your Buddy, different strokes I guess!

Noteworthy: 30 minutes after I posted moms Honda generator onto Craigslist it was sold at the same price I paid for it....YAY!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.