Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Small LED strip Light
MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Sep 2015 17:34 - Edited by: MtnDon

I found another LED light product I like. This is a 25 cm long (approx 10 inches) strip of LED's in an aluminum channel with an opaque plastic front / diffuser. Power is supplied by a USB micro port on one end. Touch the end opposite to turn on or off. Capacitance touch, or maybe resistive??? But nice as it needs to separate switch. Plus touch and hold the other end and it dims. With 4.91 volts going in on highest setting it uses 0.83 ampere. Brightness? I can't measure lumens, but mounted under a cabinet, above a work counter it covers a 2 foot length reasonably well. Affix to surface with double stick tape (not included).

I bought mine on aliexpress. Chinese. $4.88 with free shipping; 30 days from order date to it dropping into my mailbox. I've seen them on other chinese sites for about the same and also on ebay for a $9-10 buy it now and also on auction but have not followed to see ending prices.

I'm putting two in the trailer. Those will run of 12 VDC via a USB power port. We want one on a wall above a mirror in the cabin. I could use a 120 VAC USB adapter and run the cord up the wall. However I am opting to try a small USB power pack, meant to recharge phones, etc. Another aliexpress purchase. $1.17 with free shipping as well. Cripes, the battery is worth 8 times that.... but will last a long long time.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 11 Sep 2015 10:26

Quoting: MtnDon
However I am opting to try a small USB power pack, meant to recharge phones, etc. Another aliexpress purchase. $1.17 with free shipping as well.

Hey MtnDon - interesting idea, and neat product. The one I've quoted above appears to just be an empty battery box that would allow you to put... C??? batteries into. Were you aware of that? Just making sure...

MtnDon
# Posted: 11 Sep 2015 10:55

It's a box that accepts 3.7 volt Li-Ion batteries, size designation 18650. That is what I am using as I have an 18650 I have removed from flashlight use. They need a spacial charger. I figure with the amount of use the light will get I'll only recharge once a year, maybe twice.

There are USB power packs that use AA, maybe others that use C cells. I have not looked. The vast majority use the 18650 Li-Ion cells. Most of those that come with Li-Ion cells included use cheap trash cells and I avoid those.

The circuit in the box would be a booster to take the Li-Ion voltage up to the USB 5 volts. You could probably wire up your own AA or C cell holder with the booster from the linked to item.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 11 Sep 2015 10:56

Ok! I was just making sure you had a plan and weren't expecting it include a battery for that price. Sounds interesting.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.