Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / RV recirculating toilet
paulz
# Posted: 11 Sep 2015 12:34

I have my old RV parked by my cabin and have been using it's toilet to take a dump. It normally has a motor that flushes and recirculates past a flapper into the tank below, and I used to put RV toilet chemical in it when I was driving it. Directly under the toilet sits a slide valve that dumps into a black water tank, that holds 10 gallons I think, and the toilet itself about 4.

The flush motor has died so the last couple times I just washed the waste past the flapper with water. Doesn't seem to really stink much, I only go in the RV to shower or toilet. I am wondering, could/should I put some sawdust in there, or something else? At some point it will go into the black water tank below, and from there either have to take it somewhere or compost it if I can. Thanks in advance

ColdFlame
# Posted: 11 Sep 2015 15:50

Are you sure you didn't just trip the fuse inside it? That's a common problem with the recirculating toilets... the flush button can unscrew and a glass fuse is inside it if I recall correctly. At least, that's the case in my Trailmanor trailer with a Thetford recirculating toilet.

I would flush some of the eco-friendly chemical tablets or chemical down with it. http://www.thetford.com/product/eco-smart-products/ That way you can compost it later without having to worry about polluting your environment any more than dumping the refuse would already do. I don't think I would add sawdust into it, unless you intend to never get it fixed or ever use it as a recirculating toilet again... That's my thought anyway.

creeky
# Posted: 11 Sep 2015 16:54

I was gonna suggest you do the old RV park trick. Have your black waste go outside the RV into a 50 gallon barrel. then you could sawdust or even better, bokashi sawdust the barrel. no smell that way.

and the barrel can be hauled away when full. take quite awhile for one guy to fill a barrel.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 12:08

Thanks guys, hadn't check the update box and didn't realize anyone responded.

Yeah, the toilet motor is toast, I have it and the mixer deal attached to it out. I looked a bit for a new motor and certainly could come up with something, I'll pursue that. Good Idea on composting after dumping into a barrel, I'll pursue that too.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.