Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 12 volt / solor powered water pump
lbeaudoin
# Posted: 15 Sep 2015 19:16

hello everyone,
I have an existing cottage at a 50 foot elevation and 175 feet from my lake. I would like to set up a 12 volt / solar powered water pump with no holding tank. I would like to draw my water from the lake. I'm having trouble finding out what size pump to purchase to push the water up a 45% angle to the cottage. Does anyone have any idea?

DaveBell
# Posted: 16 Sep 2015 12:39

Here is a similar project.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/WaterPumping/SimpleSolarPump/SimpleSolarPump.htm

Typical home water pressure = 50-60 psi.
Typical home shower rate = 2.5 - 5 gpm.

So the above example is very close to home needs.

You need to calculate how much time the pump will run daily so you don't discharge batteries below 20%.

The self priming max depth of the pump is 12 feet, so the whole setup would have to be at the lake, which might be better for the solar anyway. See pump link in article.

You could also call the customer service folks at Shurflo and other 12VDC water pump manufacturers to get info related to your needs.

From the article it seems pumps can push 50' of rise/lift, but 50' of self priming may be difficult.

lbeaudoin
# Posted: 16 Sep 2015 13:45

thanks for the info. I'll give them a call.

sparky1
# Posted: 18 Sep 2015 14:16

I bought this off the internet amazon ..it works great orange in color 12/24 volt

http://www.amazon.com/Ranch-Submersible-Battery-Alternate-Energy/dp/B00F0JDHWO

Brand New SeaFlO
• Volt: 24VDC
• Amps:4.0Max
• Flow Rate(Iph/gph):360/96
• Maximum Lift:230 Feet(70Meters)
• Maxmum Submersion:100Feet (30 Meters)
• Packing Size(mm):355*130*110
• N.W/G.W:2.9/3.0

lbeaudoin
# Posted: 21 Sep 2015 19:02

thanks Sparky,
I'll look into it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.