Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Freezer options?
SubArcticGuy
# Posted: 17 Sep 2015 08:42

I am trying to figure out the best solution for my cabin for keeping food cool and I keep going back and forth between generators and solar. I currently have just a 15 watt panel charging a deep cycle rv battery and it just runs some 12v led lights.

We only get to the cabin for maybe a week in the summer and a week in the fall as it is accessible only by floatplane in the summer.

I was thinking of just running an ice machine to restock the cooler but it would be great to have a freezer in case we get a moose early in our fall trip.

I was looking at a 7cf freezer but I am not sure of the size of solar needed. I may be better off with a generator?

Any suggestions appreciated...

Just
# Posted: 17 Sep 2015 09:34

A freezer that size would take a long time to freeze a entire moose even if you had it deboned and cut up small , I would say at least 3 days . It would run steady for 72 hours so IMO not practical for solar ,, genny is the way to go .

NorthRick
# Posted: 17 Sep 2015 11:39

I agree, for your situation a generator would be the better option. The battery bank in a solar system big enough to run a freezer would need attention more often than once in the summer and once in the fall.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.