Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 12 volt connector?
paulz
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 12:17

This is our first year in my cabin. I have been dragging a car battery in every night to power radio, TV, laptop charger, lights, etc. and just using alligator clips and cigar lighter stuff, then recently instead of dragging a battery in I just jumper off my truck out front, it still starts in the morning and recharges the battery. Also have some HF solar panels I'm playing with but not much sun.

Anyway I need to upgrade to something a little better. Do you guys ever use regular 110AC cords, power strips etc? Right not I'm thinking just run a cord from the truck inside to a power strip and put AC cords on all my DC stuff, keeping the polarity in order of course. Dumb idea? Better? We don't need to advance to refrigeration or anything long term, at least not for now.

MtnDon
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 17:57

Quoting: paulz
Do you guys ever use regular 110AC cords, power strips etc?

For DC???? That works until someone plugs the cord from one of the DC devices into an AC receptacle that is wired to 120 VAC. Maybe if you are the only person ever there you can get away with that safely. But that sort of thing bothers me. Especially when short term often leads to long term because of inertia.

You asked; I replied.

rayyy
# Posted: 21 Sep 2015 08:45

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3195W5nVEQL.jpg
I have several of these wired up to my 12 volt system.They are a standard cigarette lighter sockets for any 12 volt plug gadget you have.

paulz
# Posted: 21 Sep 2015 09:19

Rayyy, thanks, those are nifty.

MtnDon, I put in a reply agreeing with your take on using AC cords, for some reason it got deleted. Thanks for the reply.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.