Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 100amp Square D 12 circuit panel for generator
Carbon83
# Posted: 25 Sep 2015 22:25 - Edited by: Carbon83

I am looking for some help on wiring a 100amp Square D panel i purchased at home depot. It has 6 spaces and 12 circuits. I have a Briggs and Stratton 8000W (running)/10000W(starting) generator to power my cottage. I am not sure if i made a poor choice on the panel or not. I am confused a little on how to power the whole panel and access all the breakers. Maybe I am missing something else!? Right now I wired in the 30amp twist lock line to the panel which can power 2 15amp breakers. But how can I power the remaining 4 breakers with the 4x20amp outlets that I have remaining on the generator. Do I need a different panel?

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help!

Here is a picture of the panel wired with the 30amp cord:
panel
panel

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Sep 2015 00:40 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Are you feeding it with 110VAC or 220VAC from the generator. Info I need to steer you right. If you are feeding it with 110VAC, you need to put in a jumper between the red and black wire. Some people will make this connection in the cord itself, but that could be an issue if you plug it into anything else other than back-feeding your cabin.

Also, you can use the mini breakers and double your breakers/circuits.

Carbon83
# Posted: 26 Sep 2015 12:20

I will be feeding it with the 220VAC..thats the 30amp twist lock plug rated for 120/240v. Is that all I need to hook up to power the panel?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Sep 2015 15:46 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

You are good to go. If it was me, I'd put in a 220V breaker (double pole) and run your feed to that. The white and green would remain in the same spot, but the red and black would hook to the breaker. The advantage to that is you can quickly interrupt the power if needed. Also, you want to interrupt the power when shutting it down or starting the generator. So you flip off the breaker, then you can shut down the generator instead of unplugging it at the generator every time before you shut down or start up. This prevents brown outs, low voltage etc. and you can just keep the generator plug hooked up. If you have an inverter generator, this isn't as critical. But an emergency interrupt easily accessible for you inside is handy.

The double pole breaker will eat up some space, so a good reason to fill it the rest of the way with mini breakers.

The 10AWG wire feeding it for 30 amps is perfect.

Carbon83
# Posted: 26 Sep 2015 18:53

For some reason, I didn't think it was that easy of a hook-up, but when you asked if i was running 110 or 220, it got me thinking. I have more than enough power to run most things.
The wires running in the panel are 10awg. I just went with the rating the plug needed. I like the idea about the 220v breaker for an interrupt. Thanks!

Carbon83
# Posted: 26 Sep 2015 18:53

For some reason, I didn't think it was that easy of a hook-up, but when you asked if i was running 110 or 220, it got me thinking. I have more than enough power to run most things.
The wires running in the panel are 10awg. I just went with the rating the plug needed. I like the idea about the 220v breaker for an interrupt. Thanks!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.