Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Small Wood Stove Suggestions
toddheyn
# Posted: 2 Oct 2010 07:49

We are looking for a small wood stove for our 12x16' cabin. The cabin is insulated with R-13 insulation in both the walls and the ceiling. We want a small wood stove beacuse of the valuable floor space that it would take up and the concern that we would not be able to regulate the heat it puts into the small space.

In the short term we will be using a Mr. Heater - Big Buddy for our heating.

What are your suggestions?

Rob_O
# Posted: 2 Oct 2010 10:33

Look at wood stoves designed for wall tents. I'm going with a Four Dog

Gary O
# Posted: 2 Oct 2010 11:42

We too are using a Mr Heater-Big Buddy, with a large tank, for our 120sf cabin. Keeps it quite toasty (along with a nip of eggnog).
Sure beats the little canister jobs we used the first part of last winter. They sucked down the fuel in minutes and we still froze our patukies off (and to do that it has to be really cold).
A neighbor up the way put in a wood stove that was really close to the wall, but within code. Looking in to that next trip.

KC cabin
# Posted: 2 Oct 2010 11:56 - Edited by: KC cabin

Toddheyn, we have a SC of a similar size (12x18' with a loft). We typically don't go up to our place when it snows. We use our little Mr. Heater Buddy through late fall/early winter and it works nicely. Just to be safe, we leave a couple of windows cracked open and we have a carbon monoxide alarm.

We are now seriously considering buying this Vogelzang Boxwood Stove from our local Lowes for about $160.

Boxwood Stove

Anonymous
# Posted: 2 Oct 2010 14:26

Google..... morso squirrel.

Pricy though.

Anonymous
# Posted: 3 Oct 2010 01:35

If you have a Sutherlands near you, they will be even cheaper.

fpw
# Posted: 3 Oct 2010 09:46

I have a four-dog stove in my cabin (20' x 22'). Well built, lightweight, easy to move. These stoves are designed for wall tents and packing in and out of a camp. They work well for a small cabin.

http://peelinglogs.blogspot.com/2009/11/installing-wood-stove.html

hilltop
# Posted: 6 Oct 2010 19:25

I put a Vermont Casting Aspen in my 14 by 16. with loft and 6 by 8 store room attached.
It's their smallest , 22 long by 15 wide. I like the glass door .
Not cheap though and heavy , 240 lbs.
You can get some close clearances to walls with the optional heat shields

MtnDon
# Posted: 21 Oct 2010 14:38

For small cabins a wood burning stove can be too much at times. We have a VC Aspen as mentioned above. It is a very good stove and uses about as little space as can be achieved with most wood burners.

I've seen some folks use marine stoves. They tend to be small and unfortunately pricey.

My personal recommendation for propane stoves is to only use models that vent their exhaust to the exterior and draw their combustion air from the exterior as well. I believe using propane heaters that are ventless are a potential disaster.

dabones
# Posted: 23 Oct 2010 19:19

Quoting: MtnDon
My personal recommendation for propane stoves is to only use models that vent their exhaust to the exterior and draw their combustion air from the exterior as well. I believe using propane heaters that are ventless are a potential disaster.

Wood stoves get their oxygen from the room too.. while yes, they do vent outside through the chimney, they do take the O2 from the room and could be dangerous as well..

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Oct 2010 01:12

Some wood stoves have fresh air kits available. Others you can build one for. Basically it consists of a metal shroud that surrounds the air intake and connects to the exterior.

Here's the one that is an option for the VC Aspen stove.
3" aluminum duct
3" aluminum duct
the exterior inlet shroud (modified dryer vent)
the exterior inlet shroud (modified dryer vent)
Added screen to discourage mice and a screw to hold the flap up
Added screen to discourage mice and a screw to hold the flap up

Anonymous
# Posted: 24 Oct 2010 05:08

Most newer ventless propane heaters have built in o2 sensors and automatic shut off when they sense co build up at above normal levels.
They are actually safer then wood stoves.

fasenuff
# Posted: 24 Oct 2010 08:03

I have gone with the Volzgang shown above. As is it requires 3 feet all around it for safety but with a proper clearance reduction system that can be reduced to 12 inches. That is a much needed gain in space in my 12x14 cabin. I am still in the process of installing it but hope to have it done by this coming weekend. Having had to cut a lot of trees for the cabin and the drive into the place I will not be in need of fire wood this winter or next.

I see the need for bringing in outside air for the stove and like the flex pipe and dryer vent. Definetly do-able.

The stove was given to me by a man who had it in a 12x16 while he built his house and he said it worked well for him heating his place.

Gary O
# Posted: 24 Oct 2010 19:26

Quoting: fasenuff
clearance reduction system that can be reduced to 12 inches

A guy up the path has this, and with space being a premium for a lot of us, it's a must.

A photo of what we picked out for our next structure.
It's a bit pricey at $650 (pipe not included) but we like the window door feature and some flat cooking/water heating surface, along with the (must have) certified spec for Oregon
Stove we like (I think)
Stove we like (I think)

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.