Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar Battery Stupidity
groingo
# Posted: 28 Sep 2015 13:19

A hot tip, when checking battery and panel condition, (if your charge controller doesn't have a battery backup), be sure to reset your charge perameters otherwise when you're done or they revert to Default which in my case was a maximum input charge of 13.8 volts at max of 3 amps.

Was wondering these past few weeks why my batteries were lower than normal, then it hit me, yep, I forgot to reset the charge controller, now it's set to 15 volts and pushing 20 amps rather than 3, even did an equalize yesterday too boot!

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Sep 2015 13:30

Quoting: groingo
now it's set to 15 volts

Curious here... a 12 volt system? 15 volts?
For what set point? Absorb, float, EQ?

groingo
# Posted: 28 Sep 2015 16:50

Don:

It's all automatic and just limits the max input voltage to 15 volts rather than 13.8.

creeky
# Posted: 28 Sep 2015 17:58

15v at 20 amps is how to charge a battery. equalization is essential.

boy. good thing you caught that.

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Sep 2015 18:41

Well you have me confused, all the CC I am familair with do not have limits you set for voltage input, only the voltage to battery outputs. G/L

groingo
# Posted: 28 Sep 2015 22:56

Don:

This one does, it's my backup Renogy $29.00 special 30 amp with led readout PWM CC, lets you set both upper and lower charge perameters.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.