Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Generac Back-up Home Power Generators
rockies
# Posted: 7 Oct 2015 19:21

I was watching a half hour infomercial on "Generac" back-up power generators.

Has anyone used one?

http://www.generac.com/for-homeowners/home-backup-power

drb777
# Posted: 7 Oct 2015 19:58

I rigged-up a backup generator for the cabin, but it's not the full feature auto set-up that you have noted. Since 30 amps will easily run everything possible, and I had available a Generac 3500XL converted to run on natural gas, I simply poured a concrete pad, added a disconnect and it was done.
Manual start-up simply requires opening the gas valve, flipping two disconnect levers and a pull or two to start the genset. And since I have natural gas from wells on the property, fuel is no cost.

'Nothing wrong with the full feature backup units, but total installed cost can be somewhat pricey.
backup generator
backup generator
hard shell cover
hard shell cover

groingo
# Posted: 8 Oct 2015 11:34

First thing, how big of generator do you require?

Generac's are not usually at the top of the reliability list, but first things first.

justincasei812
# Posted: 9 Oct 2015 09:13 - Edited by: justincasei812

I just purchased a home that has the Generac home back up generator already hooked up to the panel and covers the entire house. I have not had to use it yet but it does do the weekly start up just like clock work. I can't ever see it being a bad thing as long as it kicks in when it should. I at one time I had thought about buying a small home unit for the cabin and hooking it up to the propane pig and using that when we were at the cabin instead of the Honda 5000w genny. If you do this it will void the warranty from Generac. If I remember correctly the warranty requires you to have electricity and for this to only be used as a back up not the main power source to your home/ cabin.

Edited. I just went to the Generac website and they now offer an off grid entire structure genny with warranty. This was not available a few years ago.

URL

Kevin

Borrego
# Posted: 9 Oct 2015 10:43

Quoting: groingo
Generac's are not usually at the top of the reliability list

I didn't think so either, and I bought mine 7 years ago for it's low cost expecting to replace it. To my pleasant surprise, it is running perfectly with little or no maintenance! Mine is basic and a little noisy, but i would buy another in a heartbeat...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.