Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Tankless water heaters
lawnjocky
# Posted: 14 Oct 2015 16:26

I have an EZ 101 tankless water heater and I am disappointed. The hot water just trickles out. I thought it was due to the low pressure in my gravity system so I added a RV pressure system run off a 12v battery with a solar charging system. I have great pressure on the cold side but the hot continues to trickle. I checked the reviews on Amazon for this unit and I am not alone with this problem. I would like to upgrade so I am seeking advice from those who have tankless systems that actually work.

Thanks in advance.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 14 Oct 2015 21:07

I have been using the eccotemp l10 for six seasons now and still works great with no issues. It runs with a surflo 12 volt pump. I know others on here have been using the eccotemp as well with similar set ups.

drb777
# Posted: 14 Oct 2015 21:26

I've used 2 different Econotemp models, including the low-end one, and both using simple on-demand 12v pumps. Neither application have I had a problem w/ restricted flow-rates. I did find others have said the EZ 101 has such, and one person had luck by removing the flow-restriction disc in the showerhead. If that's not your situation, there must be some other pinch or restriction w/in the heater itself.
One EZ 101 reviewer said he planned to disassemble the unit to find the problem, but didn't report his results.
Also, sometimes the addition of small pressure accumulation tank at the pump outlet helps keep the inlet flow rate & pressure more stabalized. And that in turn allows the heater unit sensors to function better.
One other thing, many tankless water heaters don't work well w/ single control faucets. Two separate water valves tend to allow one to control the temp w/o dropping flow rates below that required to actuate the auto control sensors.
Good luck.

Borrego
# Posted: 14 Oct 2015 22:02

I've had 4 Ecotemp heaters, two small L5s, one large L10 for the cabin, a 45H for another house. All performed well......

lawnjocky
# Posted: 14 Oct 2015 22:37

Cool, I emailed a buddy who has been using an L10 full time living off the grid and he has glowing reports.

In my place I have an old claw foot tub with the original faucet so no water restricters.

Thanks for the help.

Coastal
# Posted: 15 Oct 2015 07:35

I'm putting in a navien, hope it works well I should know next week. ;)

bldginsp
# Posted: 15 Oct 2015 12:46

Lawnjockey- I have a low pressure gravity feed system as well, and it did not have enough pressure to operate a Eccotemp L7. With a pump you should be fine. Eccotemps require 25 lbs minimum pressure. Marey makes a portable water heater that they say will operate on lower pressure.

rayyy
# Posted: 15 Oct 2015 15:28

Try shutting the cold water side off completely which will send all the pump's pressure to the hot water heater side.25 lbs of water pressure to this heater should give you plenty of flow.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.